Power Supply Breakout Board

New to the site and looking for info on this Edge Connector in KiCAD.
I have done a great deal of searching and cannot find this in the symbol library.

Newark 10035388-102LF
Card Edge Connector, Dual Side, 1.57 mm, 50 Contacts, Through Hole Mount, Right Angle, Solder
https://www.newark.com/amphenol-icc-fci/10035388-102lf/card-edge-conn-dual-side-50pos/dp/01T1535?CMP=e-email-sys-orderack-GLB

Connector

KiCad has quite extensive set of libraries, but the world has produced more stuff than have been put into KiCad yet.

There are websites that specialize between distributing libraries for EDA such as https://www.snapeda.com/ and PCBL - PCB Footprint Expert (PCB libraries is also a KiCad sponsor Corporate Sponsorship | KiCad EDA)

However, I do not make much use of such services. I prefer to make my own schematic symbols and footprints whenever needed, and KiCad has quite good editors for these, and the use a very similar GUI with Eeschema and Pcbnew. I have looked at a few parts generated by snapeda, and I generally find them of lower quality then KiCad’s own libraries. This is not surprising, as their footprints are generated from some script, and they have (claim) compatibility with many different EDA program suites. (I have not used “Pcb Libraries” myself, so know nothing about their quality.

Even if you want to use such external sources, I highly recommend you do not trust them, and verify their parts yourself. And for that, KiCad’s own schematic symbol and footprint editors are very capable tools. so my suggestion is to not try to be too quick, and learn to use those tools, so you can apply them in an appropriate manner (Either by making your own parts, or by checking / verifying / modifiying parts from external sources.

Thanks but at this time, this creating of libraries is way over my head.
Is there anyone willing to create this one?
I have everything else I need to create this board.

It’s just a state of mind.
It is quite simple, probably a lot simpler then you think it is.

1. Start the Footprint Editor.
  2. Footprint Editor / file / Create Footprint.
  3. Update Python Modules (it seems some bugs that creeped into KiCad V6 have been fixed there.)
  4. 4th option from the top: S-DIP Single / Dual Inline Package Footprint. & [OK]
  5. Fill in the data. Number of pads, pad size, row spacing, that kind of stuff. Something like the image below seems useful for you:
  6. There are two “tab pages”. One for “Pads” and under that, a page for “Body”.
  7. Once you like what you see, click on the “Load footprint to Editor” button, which is the rightmost from the tool menu in the top.
  8. In the Footprint Editor you can further refine your footprint. You probably want to adjust the silkscreen for this big connector.
  9. When finished, save your result in a library. The Footprint Editor is also the main library management tool in KiCad, so it has everything to create libraries and read, write, copy footprints in between libraries. For best result, it’s best to practice this library management a bit on “dummy” footprints. Loosing an (half) hour of work in the design of your footprint because you made some error in saving the result is not fun. If you’ve done it a few times though, creating such a footprint is somewhere between 2 and 10 minutes of work.

Alternatively, you can also design it from scratch in the Footprint Editor. It’s just an array of pads, and some fancy lines. That’s all there is to it.

There are more parts in the world than the KiCad library can encompass. It would be a larger task than the software and endless.

When people ask for a symbol, they may not be aware there are three separate things. 1. The symbol, which is an um, symbolic representation of the part, 2. The footprint, which gives the pad configuration and the 2D space it occupies on the board, and 3. The 3D model which adds the vertical dimension, and the look of the part on the board.

The first is usually easy to satisfy. In your case you just need a generic connector with 50 pins. Something like a 2x25 connector from the symbol library would do. Worst comes to the worst you could create one which is a rectangular box with 25 pins on each side.

For the footprint if you can’t find one or modify one from the manufacturer’s downloads, you could design your own, putting down pads in the right places, perhaps with one of KiCad’s footprint generators, and establishing a courtyard for the part so that you can see on the PCB editor how much space it takes and KiCad can detect collisions with other parts.

For the 3D model designing your own requires working with CAD software like FreeCAD. The realism you want affects the amount of work. This work is optional, you’ll just see pads in the 3D view if you don’t supply a 3D model.

Trying out the footprint editor.
When saving it tells me the library is read only.
Read Only

I replaced the permissions on the folders and was able to save it.

Bad move. Those system libraries are write-protected because they will be updated next version upgrade and you will lose your additions. Rather, create your personal library and save to that.

1 Like

I agree. Your personal libraries should be in some place that makes sense to you, probably not specific to the current project but findable for any KiCad project. Right now I think you should take the libraries which you have modified and copy them over. You might want to do some re-naming so the two libraries are not confused with each other.

Indeed.

Leave KiCad’s default libraries where they are, and put your own personal libraries in some other place.

The simplest way is to start with a project specific library for each project that needs it.
If you find you want to re-use footprints (or schematic symbols) that you’ve made earlier, it becomes time to think of a more general way to manage your personal libraries.

Thanks…
From within the Footprint editor, when you go to Save As there is not an option to save outside the software footprint library

Create a new library in the file menu, name it something like “breeses_components” or something else you can find easily and then select that in the dialog of your screenshot.

Thanks for everything!!!
Now, I figured out how to change the spacing between the 2 rows of pins.
How do I change the spacing (Very Slightly) between the pins?
Also, Can I use this in my schematic?

Hi,

There are many 2 x 25 schematic symbols. You just have to make sure the pin ordering matches your footprint.

mike

The footprint editor creates footprints for your PCB. if you want to create schematic symbols, use the Symbol editor. (Library management works similar there, you’d need to first create our own library again, and so on)

Of course for a connector you can just one one of the generic connector symbols and assign the footprint you created to the symbol manually in the properties dialog.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.