Potentiometer footprint missing

Hello! I just started with KiCad and i am trying to follow a tutorial, but the tutor is assigning a footprint that i can’t find in my footprint libraries,since apparently i am missing the “Potentiometer” library, i have “Potentiometer THT” and “Potentiometer SMT” though.
Any idea why this happened? How could i fix it?

You have to give more information. What KiCad version you are using? What KiCad version the tutorial uses? Can you be certain that the component libraries of either you or the tutorial aren’t older than the installed KiCad versions (that can happen if the KiCad application has been updated but not the libraries)? What is the actual footprint which should be assigned?

Put a bit of flexibility into your thinking.

Your tutorial is probably for some older version and KiCad is continuously being extended and improved.
"THT" stands for "Through Hole Technology and
"SMT" stands for: "Surface Mount Technology.

Another tip:
If you open the “Footprint Editor”, there is a search box and if you start typing “Potenti…” there, then you get a live update from the accessible libraries:

Hint:
When doing a tutorial by yourself, there is no reason to limit yourself to the example circuit. Once I heard of a course which advised to start with some (working) schematic on paper of something you want to make a PCB of, so you have a useful PCB layout at the end of the course. KiCad does not work differently if you use your own schematic.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.