Postive x-coordinates instead of negative values in CSV pick and place file

Hello.
I generated a ASCII pos file and CSV pos file in the same project and found that the x-coordinates are positive in CSV file instead of negative. The origin is set at the bottom left corner of PCB for both files.
Attached you will find a screenshot of both files.

Normally I used the ASCII generated pos file for placing but another manufacturer want a CSV file now.

If at all possible, update to the latest 5.1.5. Many, many bugs have been fixed since 5.0.0.

Thank you for the reply. My colleague has 5.1.5 version and we got exactally the same CSV files with positive values. Nevertheless I will update my KiCad.

1 Like

Trying on Windows latest 5.1.x Nightly with a small project and default top left origin, ASCII and CSV are consistent, X positive and Y negative

Please update your very buggy 5.0.0 to 5.1.5-3

I did that just yesterday, the expected results as @davidsrsb mentioned

I too have both origin on the lower left corner of my board

Application: Eeschema
Version: (5.1.5)-3, release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.4
    libcurl/7.66.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1d (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.1.1) nghttp2/1.39.2
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
    wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
    Boost: 1.71.0
    OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
    Curl: 7.66.0
    Compiler: GCC 9.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
    USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
    USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
    KICAD_SPICE=ON

I have never looked inside P&P files, but I thought that if origin is at the bottom left then all coordinates (X and Y) are positive. At least in gerbers it is probably such. Do the P&P has it differently?

I installed 5.1.5-3 and created again a minimal project and have the same problem. Only for bottom devices (mirrored) the X value should be negative. Attached again screenshots of both files with top left default origin and KiCad screenshot.

And here KiCad screenshot

Honestly I’m not sure. But the point is that CSV and ASCII is not consistent.
But maybe it is my fault (?)

I didn’t realized that the problem was the discrepancies between ASCII and CSV, I just tried again and it works as expected.

Have you tried to set the origins to the corner of your PCB ?

Thank you. But please try it again with C1 at bottom side e.g.

I see what you mean, the output is not consistent between CSV and POS, I am not sure if there is some kind of convention about it.

Please raise this as a possible bug on the issue tracker

Make it clear that the problem is the discrepancy between ASCII and CSV for parts on the bottom side

I raised it. Thank you.

2 Likes

Link to the bug report: https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/issues/3897

1 Like

Bug fixed, will be cherry picked for next 5.1.x release :slight_smile: Thanks @MichaelKavanagh and @imcinerney great job !

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.