Polygon stopped working in footprint editor

This is a little odd but I can no longer select the polygon tool in the foot print editor (it actually stopped working while I was using the editor),
I’ve restarted but can’t select the polygon tool at all, the other tools (line, arc circle etc…) are still selectable but not polygon.

Application: kicad
Version: (5.1.0)-1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.61.1 OpenSSL/1.1.1 (WinSSL) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.6 libidn2/2.0.5 libpsl/0.20.2 (+libidn2/2.0.5) nghttp2/1.34.0
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.68.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.61.1
Compiler: GCC 8.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Aha! Just found it. A note here for anyone else who falls into this trap. Apparently I hit a function key and selected a variant toolset of some sort. The side effect of which was to silently disable polygons. Selecting the accelerated Modern toolset in preferences appears to have fixed the issue.

One of the latent drawbacks in KiCAD appears to be silent failure modes.

Robert

1 Like

The legacy toolset is limited in its features. (This is because new tools where only added to the modern toolset. The legacy toolset is expected to vanish soon. For some platforms it might even happen during the v5 release cycle as some dependencies of it might not be supplied till its end of life.)

I figured the source was something like that. My only real issue was that the failure is silent. I don’t think it would be difficult to fix but probably not worth the effort if it’s disappearing.

Robert

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.