[Poll] Is Action script enabled in 5.0.0?

It seems that action scripts are not enabled in the Windows builds, can others confirm whether Action scripts are enabled in their versions? i.e. KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=OFF.

Not sure whether it is intentional or not.

I mentioned that in my comments on the bug report about “wxwidgets crash in 5.0.0” asking if the fix (which wasn’t explained in the notes) had to do with the action menu compile option being off. No answer to that question so maybe it should be its own bug report? Should that be a bug report on the KiCad launchpad, or the kicad winbuilder repo on GitHub?

FWIW the v5-RC#-dev nighlies for windows had KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU set to ON, so I don’t know why it was turned off for the release.

Application: kicad
Version: (5.0.0), release build
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=OFF

I would initally raise the issue on the KiCad bug tracker, I don’t think it is related to the wxwidgets issue (that is because of assertions which are normally disabled in release builds).

Right now I have to go to bed, so if you like please raise a bug!

AFAIK it only affects Windows builds, without seeing any feedback on other platforms.

@SembazuruCDE I just saw your comment, its dawn here.
I think that you should raise this as a fresh bug report, as the developers have fixed the assert and won’t be reading late postings. I really don’t know what the intended state of scripting should be.

Version: 5.0.0-fee4fd1~65~ubuntu14.04.1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.2
libcurl/7.35.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1f zlib/1.2.8 libidn/1.28 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Linux 3.16.0-77-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.2 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 2.24
Boost: 1.54.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.8.0
Curl: 7.35.0
Compiler: GCC 4.8.4 with C++ ABI 1002

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

I finally found (not because it wasn’t available, but because I didn’t know where to look at first) a build that seems to contains commit 30da1a3b as mentioned by @orsonmmz in the launchpad bug report. It does have the action script menu enabled in the build options and I don’t get the wxwidget error window when opening the PCBNew Tools menu.

I’ll let others decide if the location should be more widely shared for testing.

(If that is what was meant by “fixed the assert”, my apologies for not understanding what that jargon meant.) :wink:

1 Like

Yeah… replying to myself… Adding info to the quoted post in a reply instead of editing the post.

For the RC2-dev and RC3-dev nightlies I had my action script folders installed in “%APPDATA%\kicad\scripting\plugin”. With the patched package that I found the Tools menu wouldn’t list my plugins until I moved the actions script folders out of the plugin folder to “%APPDATA%\kicad\scripting”. I don’t know if this will change for the eventual release of the 5.0.x bugrelease. Something to watch though.

I did mention all this on the launchpad bug report for documentation sake.

And, no. The corrected build on the official web page 64bitwindows stable release (file date 25-Jul-2018 17:29, file size 1,063,756,768) still doesn’t have the KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU build setting on. see here:

Version: (5.0.0), release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.3
    libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.11 libssh2/1.8.0 nghttp2/1.23.1 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
    wxWidgets: 3.0.3 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
    Boost: 1.60.0
    OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.8.0
    Curl: 7.54.1
    Compiler: GCC 7.1.0 with C++ ABI 1011

Build settings:
    USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
    USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=OFF
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
    KICAD_SPICE=ON

I finally got around to submitting a bug report for this, here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1783690

FYI
https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg36768.html

So they simply forgot to enable it. Head over to the winbuilder github repo and create an issue about that.

Simon Richter on the launchpad bug tracker replied it was an oversight. He pointed me to a corrected build for me to test which I did on 2 machines. See the comments on the bugtrack link I posted above.

Hopefully there will be (yet another) v5.0.0 release for windows that has both the wx issues and the action script menu sorted out soon.

Hopefully there will be a 5.0.1 soon

My guess is that the devs would rather move directly to 5.1

Well, if we getting into predictions, then I expect 5.1 in December. Right now it’s holiday season. Fixing the widgets won’t be trivial, then there is testing time. There are several fixes for critical crashes that can be easily backported to v5 branch.

5.1 implies there are incompatibilities with v5, but I don’t think there are any?

5.1 will not get any new features. I think they however will allow for changes to the user interface. (meaning the documentation will probably need changing once v5.1 is released)

comment by wayne on bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1251393/comments/22

5.1 is only for the UI refactoring and the GTK3 fix. All new features must wait until v6. The development team has decided to focus on 5.1 to avoid multiple branch merging issues.

Ok i seem to have been mistaken in my original understanding. It seems there will be a 5.0.1 very soon. https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg36903.html

1 Like

but I really don’t know what else to do. Users will just have to be confused.

Users using the nightlies should be following the development and should not be confused. Oh yes, probably many will be confused, and I think I agree that those that use nightlies without following the development branch get exactly the amount of confusion they earned.

Wayne says also:

The problem here is not the maturity of the scripting menu support but
rather the scripts themselves. I’m fine with enabling this for 5.0.1.
In the end the user will bear the responsibility of bad scripts although
we will end up with the headache of supporting it. Much like many of
the issue with the wxPython scripting support. It takes one bug in a
python script to bring KiCad to it’s knees.

https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg36907.html

1 Like

That is a major issue, I would be giving that top priority…