Plugin Categories Index Sections

To those of you writing plugins. We can now proceed with the new and hopefully improved format.

What sections would you like to see in the index?
What section would you like your work in?
Do you have a current thread that should be added?
Do you want to get a fresh start?

Obviously this stuff can all be changed later but saves work if we get it at least close enough the first time.

Does anybody know if this list is anywhere near up to date with Kicad V5?

It occurs to me that perhaps we should have an informal ratings system. Each thread has a poll with simply:
I use this and find it useful
On edit I eliminated all choice but this. I think that would be enough to help people decide if they should try it?

Two new post with almost identical titels:

The post by Chris should not be used to discuss how that one should be handled. That one really should only contain the final product. (I would guess this is why this topic has been opened)

I think xesscorp page is fairly up to date.
You can also go through first couple of pages of this search

If repo has been updated in last year there is a good chance it works in v5.

I don’t quite understand how the “wiki’d posts” work. Will one person maintain an index post that will have links to specific posts in the index thread? And those posts will be maintained by plugin authors?
I would prefer if index thread had links directly to announcement threads instead of singular posts. Plugin authors will maintain top post (or not, up to them), those threads should not be locked.

The purpose of this post is to work out the mechanics. Several people will be able to maintain the index thread just as in the FAQ.

Yes the introductory/top post will be editable by the author past the current three month limit. I’m not sure about thread locking. One thread with hundreds of posts over a few years is probably not all that desirable. New threads about specific issues or uses of a plugin would be more search-able and usable. Trying to follow a thread with several topics going can get frustrating especially if there are twenty irrelevant posts between the question and answer.

Even single issue threads where perhaps software changes happen can be the same. People would start reading about a solution that is no longer relevant. But, this is all fluid and we will see what the best solutions are over time. Right now we simply need a better way to help people find what they need. Secondarily it may help developers find projects to contribute to instead of duplicating efforts sometimes.

2 Likes

That is correct, this was at the request of @hermit. That post is now wiki’d as well.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.