Plugin and Content Manager - how to handle plugins with dependencies?

I would think somewhere inside AppData is most appropriate? Does ProgramData require elevation?

ProgramData is actually the true path for C:\Users\Public\AppData which is an alias/symlink

Hmmm, I would want to add ā€œLaunch pipā€ to the kicad launcherā€¦but it would most likely be windows specificā€¦which Iā€™m not sure offends the others ~~~

I must have misunderstood our earlier conversation, I thought you were saying that even with all the ini file and env var stuff, pip needed source patching to work properly

I think this kind of technique is needed on macOS as well

Ah, it might work, the problem is we canā€™t set a global environment variable in windows since itā€™s the generic python ones. And pip.ini is loaded based on working directory invocation of the shell. But itā€™s still buggy so it needs testing. I had cases where it was ignoring me anyway, and in other cases it was not.

11 posts were split to a new topic: PCM and color themes

Hi, one of the non-functional plugins on windows is KiKit. You can trigger the behavior by running .\python.exe -m pip install git+https://github.com/yaqwsx/KiKit@v6support. It will complain about not being able to compile the regex library.

EDIT: The library is a dependency of solidpython; however, in unreleased version the dependency is removed and you can install KiKit.

KiCad doesnā€™t support binary dependencies in plugins. This is a known limitation, relevant on Windows.

Edit: as you can see in the discussion above. But because it was the topic, Iā€™m not sure why you responded to me saying that.

I was responding to your question ā€œDo you have some example plugin which tries to use a pip package which doesnā€™t work (one of those nonworking 30% cases)?ā€ - yes I have. It is KiKit. At least it was before we got rid of the problematic dependency.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.