[Solved] PCM and color themes

Thank you for the PCM, really promising functionality :slight_smile:

I noticed that installed themes appear in PCB Editor preferences and can be selected, but apparently have no effect as shown below:

This is off-topic, but the answer is because those themes made by @pointhi only provide schematic colors, not PCB colors.

There’s no way to filter this out to remove the confusion this will continue?

For now the nice way would be to note it in the metadata description.

We can look at filtering out JSON themes that are missing certain info as a new feature in V7

We might require full themes in the future for inclusion? We can update @pointhi’s themes to address this short-term

Not sure this is a good idea; some people really only care about customizing their schematic theme or their PCB theme, not both. It should be fairly straightforward to filter incomplete themes from the choosers in the respective preferences, but not in V6.

2 Likes

Or can we name the themes as “xxx Schematic”?

Yup, for V6 II think probably the right solution is to be explicit about it in the description and maybe also the human-readable package name. @pointhi does this seem reasonable to you?

@hermit or anyone else with the right permissions, could you please split everything from @elekgeek 's post forward to a different topic called “PCM and color themes” or something?

Separate schematic and PCB themes offer more possibilities/combinations. In case they will be put in the same directory - which is the case now - some way to distinguish them is mandatory, and then each will appear in their corresponding Schemaitc/PCB preferences ComboBox.

I can add e.g. Schematic to the theme name, but I would vote to not show it in the given editor if there is no theme specified for the given editor. It is also confusing to have the same theme one time with (Footprint) and one time without this tag.

Frankly, dunt understand what you meant, can you please elaborate more on this.

Themes that are currently in the repository only change colors for schematic, not for pcb editor, that’s why you don’t see any change if you select them.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.