Plot as .DXF Export to Send to CNC Fabrication

In the past, I’ve used the Plot to Export DXF to send to software for laser cutters with reasonable success.

I used KiCad as a means to create a .DXF file intended to be sent to Water Jet fabrication.

KiCads .DXF in MM was interpreted as being in Inches; what should have been about 3 inches ended up being over 6.5’ FEET !!!

Was this a KiCad Export setting issue?

Or, was it the Fab House Import setting issue?

KiCad%20Fab%20Layer%20Colors

KiCad%20Fab%20Layers

DXF File Format

What would normally be done in a “real” CAD program, I was able to do with KiCad and it’s Export to .DXF feature. As stated above, the company software interpreted 78mm as 78 inches, but otherwise everything else worked and I ended up with a finished product done very inexpensively.

These designs were cut with a Water Jet machine and the results are better than I had expected. If there is any posted interest I can provide photos of how well this actually worked out in the real world with photos of the actual end cut parts.

Apparently, yes. Check https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-source-mirror/commit/85b8dd8b34b11998f6c9a41ab692836efa28f2c1 which has been very recently commited by @Seth_h

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.