Placing a metallized screw hole

Hello!

As stated in the title, I’ve spent quite some time searching the net about how to place a screw hole with copper around it. I’ve seen video tutorials where there was a “add module” on the right, but there is no add module in the menu of the version I’m using. By the way I’m using version 4.0.7. I was thinking there might be a particular mode to do that, and if not in that mode, then the menu doesn’t show… Can anybody give me some hints on how to place a 3mm screw hole on my PCB?
Then, the problem is probably related, but how do I place a via? I have a power layer (layer 3) and I need a via to pull the power out of this plane. I’ve seen many videos. Usually it’s made using the menu Place -> Footprint / track / via / zone… in the videos I’ve seen. The problem I have is that de via item is missing. In the place menu, I have only footprint / track / zone. Where did the via menu go?

Thanks,

Pascal

Place footprint Mounting_Holes:MountingHole_3.2mm_M3 ?

Hello!
Thanks for your reply. Indeed it does something. Buy apparently it connects to all layers the same way.For the layers where I pour GND, it’s fine, but for the power plane, that will become a problem. Any hint? How do I specify that this coppered hole is linked to ground and therefore should not be in contact with power?

And there is still this via that I can’t find.

Thanks,

Pascal

Maybe the hint has change to “add footprint”.

There is not a via item. Select the “add tracks and vias” tool. Start a track by left clicking on the board and the hit “v”, or right click and “place via”.

Adding random footprints to the board is not a good idea. The best solution would be to create a schematic symbol (both for plated and not plated holes) and add as many as you need at the schematics level. Then create a footprint for the holes (I have a collection of those for different diameter holes) and then assign it to the schematics symbol.

To connect a pad in your PCB to the power place just start drawing a trace from the pad and then place via (shortcut V) at the spot you need. If you are placing stitching vias you need to do the same. For example is you are stitching ground planes you need to find a ground net somewhere in vicinity and then start drawing tracks and place vias.

[quote=“pedro, post:4, topic:8961”]
There is not a via item
[/quote]There is a way to place a single via and assign a net to it (Add vias tool), but it is implemented in such an awkward way that it is not really useful for anything.

2 Likes

I agree that adding random footprints is not a good idea. But the literal question was “How do I add…”, so I thought the OP couldn’t find the footprint at all. The point is, there are footprints for holes already in the existing libs. And FWIW, to use them I also include these things on the schematic and associate footprints. YMMV

On adding a via, isn’t it enough to just place a trace and switch layer: select trace tool, mouseclick to start trace, press “v” to change layer, and click to place via. You are now on the new layer, so continue trace to where you want it.

I have access to versions 4.0.5 and nightly at this moment. In the nightly version the via tool is present but I was not sure it was present in 4.0.7 version. Thanks!

If you don’t have a symbol in the schematic you risk loosing them when you import a new netlist. (Yes there are settings but that could conflict with something else you want.) I now put them on at the beginning to make sure I work around them anyhow because I do my schematic and board layout pretty much in parallel.

While I’m sure this goes against the advise of many others here, but IMO mounting holes are part of the board, not the schematic, just like edge cuts and routed slots etc. After laying out the boards edges, slots, etc, I then add mounting holes, assign them a net if necessary, and then lock them.

Yes, and there are symbols for that very purpose. It’s not necessary to indicate which mounting hole(s) are used for the connection. What you say is true and I’m not about to argue over it, but it is common to indicate on the schematic that there is a chassis ground connection without itemizing mounting holes. There are those who will also advocate adding the mounting screws, washers, etc, to the schematic so they are added to the BOM. That is definitely one way to do it, but not the only way.

Besides, if you have a multi-page schematic there isn’t a tech worth his/her salary that couldn’t identify the chassis connection via mounting holes by looking at the board faster than looking at the schematic.