Place Alt-nnnn symbols onto PCB

Hello
I am using v6.0.7.
In PCBNEW when I enter text via the numeric pad some characters work and some fail.
Enter Alt-0169 and you get a copyright symbol, like this ©.
Enter Alt-0153 and all you get a square box. It should be the trademark symbol, like this ™.
It shows the ™ symbol when entered into the text entry dialog.
Click OK and the text changes to an open square where the ™ symbol should be when viewing the text on the PCB.

Can this be fixed?

Thank You

I think the problem is that the ™ character and others aren’t supported in KiCad’s font (based on the Hershey font IIRC). A while back I read that somebody did some work on supporting TTF in KiCad, but I haven’t followed the progress of that. In the meantime you could approximate it using a superscripted TM, i.e. ^{TM}.

I just tried some uncommon characters such as ™©¼⅜⅝⅛¡|£¿µ→Ø and many seem unsupported, resulting only in rectangles.
I tend to agree with @retiredfeline . Kicad probably only supports certain basic keyboards.

Thank you retiredfeline.

It doesn’t look quite right but, I suppose that it will have to do.
A superscript ^{TM} is slightly larger and spaced to closely to the preceeding character vs the true ™ symbol.
Also thank you for the superscript thing.
I have wondered for a while if Kicad could do super and subscript.
I now have found #{text} to do subscript.

Thank You

If you click on the Syntax Help in the Text Entry popup you can see how to do various text effects.

Thank You

I tried the text dialog in PCBNEW and there is no Syntax Help selection.
Although I do see it in the schematic editor text dialog.

That seems to be an oversight, it’s in the eeschema text dialog popup.

TTF are supported, at least in 6.99.

Minimum stroke width (as required by most board houses for silkscreen) cannot be guaranteed or checked in all cases, however.

Thanks straubm

Now, I fondly look forward to the release of V7.
For now I will see what I can do with the footprint editor.

Thank You

Not just an oversight. I was experimenting and some syntax functions in schematic do not work in PCB.
eg. ${xxx} and ~{…}. Sub & superscript size difference is not as noticeable either.

In the sense that no help is available.

I prefer to postfond than prefond. :wink:

@eewiz

I was just playing with 6.99.
™, ©, °,¿ and most everything else is now available in both the schematics and PCBs.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.