Pins in Library Part Editor

I have components (op amp) in my library that have 8 pins where 3 of the pins are internally connected (V-). If possible, how can one connect the pins together in Library Part Editor? When the component is in the pcb page, I have to use a net to link them together and it uses real estate that I need for other nets. I want to pass a signal through the component on the PCB so Xing out two pins in the schematic is not a good option. Also, I have 8 identical op amps and there would be several configurations of Xing(place-not flag).

There is no way in kicad to do this.
In addition it is not a good idea. If a chip manufacturer wants multiple pins connected to the same potential there is always a reason for it. (It would be cheaper not to bond the pin)
In most cases the reason is EMI or power related.

Generally, you can place two pins at the same point on your part and make one of them invisible.

Here’s an example of how I do this with an ADP7182 power regulator:

Here, I have pin 6 and EP (the exposed pad) both mapped to VIN. They are placed over one another and the EP pin is grey in the Library Editor and invisible on the schematic. Notice that the pin names are the same (“VIN”) as are the types and positions.

1 Like

Ok this is another way how to see the question. (After reading the original post a few times now i am convinced it is the answer @OhMyKiCad was looking for.)

By the way we call this pin stacking.
It is expected that the new library format will include a way to connect one symbol pin to multiple footprint pins. (This new format will probably come with kicad v6)

This reduces the pins seen in the schematic. (reduces clutter) They still need to be connected on the pcb.

Ah, good to have a proper name for this. Maybe @OhMyKiCad can jump in to say whether they wanted something else?

Pin stacking saves space in the schematic, but may not do exactly what the OP wanted if

means having a net “hop” through a component (i.e. use the internal connection instead of a PCB trace). DRC will regard pads as unconnected if not all are on the same trace - KiCad doesn’t “know” that the pins are connected internally. This feature is requested occasionally.

1 Like