Pin not connected to fill

@teletypeguy the traces were @ the default width(2mm), do I need to change the default width?

In my design I am using a 120VAC power supply and the ground plane is tied to the earth ground, is this acceptable?

To all-thanks for the great information and input!

Gotta stop you right there if you are putting 115VAC on the pcb. Just don’t. That is dangerous. I have been designing and building electronics since the 70s, and I have fully rewired a house (with permits and helpful inspectors). I have a healthy respect for high voltage but have never, nor will I ever, put 115 on a board. The highest voltage I ever put on a board was a dc converter that put out 400VDC to power a geiger counter tube that I sent up in a few high-altitude balloons, and that needed oodles of insulation (for vacuum leakage as well as safety).

Use an external power supply (wall wart or brick) that puts out an isolated DC. You can get lots of power from 5, 12, even 48vdc blocks.

Size the traces to suit the application. 0.2mm is a great size for many digital or analog signals. Fatter for power traces where you want a lower drop. Fatter where they enter a connector pad so the abrupt heat of soldering the pin does not cause cracking (thermal expansion and all that).

1 Like

@teletypeguy I would agree with you that it is dangerous if not done right. In my case I have the circuit fused and the source is on a GFCI. I know of several applications that have line voltage on the board, but I appreciate your thoughts and input.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.