Phoenix Connector Footprint

I’m trying to add phoenix connectors to the board I’m designing.

I’m thinking this for the female one: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/phoenix-contact/1757608/277-6271-ND/348791

and this for the male one: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/phoenix-contact/1754724/277-5836-ND/348756

…but I’m trying to figure out if KiCad has a built in footprint for the female one, and can’t find one that seems to match what’s in the datasheet.

Given how many phoenix connectors there are in the built in KiCad library, i t seems like there really should be a match given these things are standard. But from the datasheet of the female phoenix connector it looks like it should be 87mm wide (5mm pitch * 16, + 3.5mm overhang x 2 sides). And length seems like it should be 12mm.

Nothing built in seems to match. Am I crazy? Are these things non standard enough that I need to make this myself? I’m sure I’m missing something…

Looks like a MSTB connector. Check the phoenix contact website what the full text name of it is (the distributors list the phoenix order number that can be used to search the part.) as we have them in the lib by this name. You could also check the description field of the footprints as the phoenix order numbers are included in it.

Got it thanks will try that.

Ok fantastic - the order number worked. Thanks. Now for the dumb :frowning: question…

what is the best way to add this to my schematic and associate the footprint? I tried searching in the symbol library but to no avail. I presume I should add a symbol for the female connector (with the board footprint) and then a male connector (with no footprint)?

Or am I going about this wrong?

Hmmm - found the generic female connector symbol. I think maybe the below is right; I associated the connector symbol with the female footprint, and now I’m probably good to go?

Technically, the board mounted part is the male connector (because the electrical contacts are male pins). You have male and female backwards here.

As I stated above, you may want to change to the generic male symbol…

Also, you may want to change the generic symbol value to the Phoenix family name and pin-count and any other unique identifying information (like “Phoenix MSTBA 16pin 90deg Shrouded Male”, you could also replace “90deg” with “right angle”, “horizontal”, or something similar). Up to you if you want to include the pin pitch (that’s the 5mm specification). Basically search terms that you can use to uniquely locate this connector online and to help you identify which part out of the pile of all parts that you collected for assembling this board.

Phoenix order number should suffice. Every distributor list the manufacturer part number and the info one needs is accessed via the manufacturers website which again uses their order number. Everything else is contained in the footprint name anyways so no need to duplicate that information.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.