PDF not searchable in web browser

Hi
I’m having a big problem with the PDF plot output from a web browser as it is non searchable if the drawing sheet is plotted as the search would only be possible in the sheet markings and on the sheet label text.
If the sheet is not plotted I’m having no problem searching for components but net labels remain non searchable from Microsoft Edge PDF viewer.
Instead from Okular the search works for everything now but I’m almost sure it wasn’t working a hour ago.

Additionally it would be nice to know which PDF viewers support the interactive functionality as it does not work from either of these two, I don’t really know where to see it working.

Thanks
Gregor Gombač

I just found out that this time that when I export without sheet drawings I can search almost everything in the PDF while in Okular I can’t search for component values or IC names.

This is just even stranger
I don’t know what else to say

In order to help best, it would be useful to know what version of KiCad and what operating system you are using.

Only a few months ago we had the opposite problem, huge searchable PDF files with hidden info

Hi
Sorry, I replied to the e-mail thinking that it would work, and didn’t check

@scandey
I’m on the last stable version, so 7.0.5, but I had this problem even on version 6 if I recall correctly.
My OS is Windows 11

I’m gonna check the nightly since in that other post is mentioned that it will improve there
Thanks

This is the behaviour on the nightly of yesterday

Again without sheet drawing. Don’t know what to say

@davidsrsb I read again that post and it was referring to the PCB, I have problems with the schematic.
Thanks

first a info regarding the different versions: don’t mix the v7.0.x branch with the nightly versions. These are different development branches. The bugfixing for 7.0.x happens in the so called testing versions.

Regarding the searchable pdf with/without plotted drawing sheet: please check the search functionality with the original Adobe pdf viewer, or at least with some different pdf viewer. I believe the problem is not the pdf, but your pdf viewer. As the pdf-definition is very large many pdf-programs don’t implement all features.

I tried to check the problem with a schematic/plotted pdf and could not reproduce the problem.
I checked with the following project and created these pdf-files (created with testing-Version: 7.0.6-9-g35126ba22c):
mirror_labels_04.zip (666.6 KB)

mirror_labels_04_with_sheet.pdf (286.3 KB)
and
mirror_labels_04_without_sheet.pdf (190.1 KB)
. Checked with Adobe pdf viewer, Foxit pdf viewer, Sumatra pdf viewer. Used search-string: “_R”, found with both documents, with all viewers)

@mf_ibfeew I exported the pdf from the project you shared from my KiCAD stable release 7.0.5 and everything is searchable even in Edge
Sumatra can search everything even in the PDF of my project, and Adobe too

It would be cool if this bug could be understood
I add here my project: BMS_KiCAD.zip (2.3 MB)

Is there any way of removing some fields from the interactive view? I think for many of us keywords is a useless field to have in the PDF interactive fields

Thanks

Please raise this as a wishlist item for the future on Gitlab
Many of the fields are potentially leaking sensitive information

I have reduced your example to a usable testing-project:
search_pdf_03.zip (82.3 KB)

Plotting to pdf with/without drawing sheet gives different results regarding the searchability of the pdf (searchstring: “CAN”). The resulting pdf-files are included in the “production”-subdirectory.
With a proper pdf-viewer all “CAN”-occurances can be found in both files.
With Edge-browser the “CAN”-string is only found in file “search_pdf_03_without_drawing_sheet.pdf”.

I still think it’s a bug in the edge-browser (or Okulus), so this should be reported on their side. Nevertheless you could also open a gitlab-issue on the kicad-bugtracker, but I don’t want to give you much hope.

Is there any way of removing some fields from the interactive view? I think for many of us keywords is a useless field to have in the PDF interactive fields.

Currently there is no setting for these interactive data fields. Also no open gitlab issue (requesting removal/restriction of these fields) is pending. But I think it’s worth a feature request.

1 Like

@mf_ibfeew did the results repeat even in your KiCad version, and on your system?
You guys should note down what are the viewers where the PDF is always correct and where the interactive PDF works.

Since it does not always work I will have to provide a proper viewer to all the people I share the PDF with.
Is there some open source PDF reader where all of this works? In Sumatra PDF viewer the interactive part does not work, and search results are also not highlighted

Thanks

did the results repeat even in your KiCad version, and on your system?

Yes.

You guys should note down what are the viewers where the PDF is always correct and where the interactive PDF works.

regarding the tests with the uploaded project I have tested with:

• free Adobe pdf reader. search works in both files (finds 8 occurences of “CAN”). interactive popup fields: works
  • free Foxit reader (my standard pdf reader): search works in both files (finds 8 occurences of “CAN”). interactive popup fields: works
  • free Sumatra pdf reader (v3.4.6): search works in both files (finds 8 occurences of “CAN”). interactive popup fields: don’t works
  • firefox integrated pdf viewer: search works in both files (finds 8 occurences of “CAN”). interactive popup fields: don’t works
  • edge browser (from Win10): search works only in file without drawing sheet. interactive popup fields: don’t works
  • Freepdf/Flexipdf (pdf-editor from Softmaker company): search works in both files (finds 8 occurences of “CAN”). interactive popup fields: don’t works. display of kicad integrated stroke font very bad.

As you see it’s very hard to compare the plot-output result with many different pdf-applications. Derspite much invested time&effort you will never get a consistent result.

If I recall correctly from the gitlab discussions/answers the developers got to the same conclusion (it’s not possible to please every pdf-reader) and now use Adobe acrobat as gold standard for pdf verification. Most other pdf-applications implement only a subset of the pdf-features. So taking any other software as reference would be a self-restriction of the pdf output.

Looks like Edge PDF viewer doesn’t like that Gombač isn’t encoded properly (Unicode in PDF is tricky):

Options:

1. The PCB and Schematic are Human Readable files thus, you can use your favorite Text Editor to Search for Strings (and Replace if desired). Thus, don’t need the PDF.

2. You can write simple Python code (or other Code) to Search (and Replace) the desired Text. Don’t need PDF.

PDF’s are not the most universally useful format when considering Editing needs…

1. Change the .pdf extension to .txt and open it in favorite Text Editor…

Option #1 is straight-forward

Option #2 is a straight-forward programmers approach and can make a nice GUI interface…

Option #3, well, also straight-forward…

If you like Programming, Video shows #2 and compares the Searched File with the Changed File. No GUI used for this, just ran the Python Code… Could easily make it a Kicad Plugin…

@BlackCoffee I don’t get the meaning of this message

I didn’t mean to confuse you…

You stated you want to ‘Search’ in a PDF. Several others answered that PDF’s are a problem to search and I simply thought I’d inform you (if you didn’t already know) that you don’t need a Plotted PDF if wanting to search for components on Schematic and/or PCB. And, I suggested some options.

You can ignore my post if it’s not helpful…

You did not fully describe your intended goal so, I (we) can only assume you want a PDF but, other PLOT formats may work for your needs and, they are Searchable…

How have I to do it?
Is there a written guide on how to add a wishlist item?

I’m really loving the KiCad experience, though FreeCad is really behind and missing a lot of features, so for the mechanical part I need to use a proprietary tool, and I don’t like to use two design packages and I’m hence evaluating moving to a proprietary integrated solution
Any suggestions?

I guess if you’re convinced that FreeCAD is missing a lot of features and not the Tool for you, my 2-Cents won’t matter.

However, and perhaps mostly for benefit to others…

I moved from SolidWorks, Pro-E, Inventor, Cadkey (others) to FreeCAD and have taught it to my Engineers (in former Life) that wanted to do work at home but did not want to Spend several thousand dollars.

By the time it was released at v20, it was robust and solid enough to completely Uninstall all the other CAD programs from my 4 consulting systems.

FreeCAD contains WorkBenches (WB) that Mimic various programs used - Example:
Parametric Modeling (Use PartDesign WB)
Primitive Modeling like those contained in 3D-Print programs (Use Part WB)
Drafting Output of the Models (Use TechDraw WB)
FEM (Use FEM WB)
SheetMetal Forming (Use SheetMetal WB)
CNC Machining (Use Path WB)

Many, many more WB’s and Macro’s that can have their Tools/Icons placed into custom ToolBar’s.

Because PartDesign WB is a Parametric modeler, what users know from their experience in the other CAD programs mentioned above, it’s a straight-forward path to success in 30 minutes (mostly getting familiar with the WB’s and differences is Syntax).

(Syntax example: Most programs use the word ‘Extrude’ but, FreeCAD calls it “Pad”.)

There isn’t anything I can’t model in FreeCAD. You can see zillions of examples on YouTube, and I have several Posted here…

@BlackCoffee
Yeah you are right about the fact that parametric modelling doesn’t miss a single thing in FreeCAD.

The issue for me designing multiple parts where that must be ergonomic and stuff like that is that form modelling is completely absent, and I need that to design a lot of my features.
And I also need a CAM software package that offers 3-4 axis machining possibilities which, for my knowledge, path workbench completely, or close to completely, misses.

I’m ready to get proven wrong and use a software suite that is fully open source and I can contribute to, also because the Git integration is awesome, even for projects that I develop alone!!

Glad to read we agree on the Parametric capability…

Not sure what you mean re “…must be ergonomic and stuff like that…”
FreeCAD can have multiple items (Parts and Bodies), can layout the way you want them and can use Spreadsheet for design/values/parameters… Like the expensive CAD programs.

As far as 3-Axis CAM Gcode generation, no problem for 2D and 3D Profiling and Contouring. No Machine-Controller but, machinists know well-enough (from experience) to use their Machine’s controller and to stay away from a one-size-fits-all program that seldom does all of what’s needed…

4-Axis (as in Lathe Turning, not yet implemented AFAIK)

Video below of 2D and 3D operations

Also, PartDesign auto-loads the Sketcher WB so you can create the shape to Extrude/Cut. But, you can use Sketcher WB to create a 2D-sketch and load it into TechDraw for a nice 2D Drawing and can have custom Legend… That’s in addition to it’s ability to load the Parametric model and do the same things the expensive CAD programs do with it…