PCIE Riser Front / Back Help

Hello!

I am looking to remake a PCIE Riser card that has a unique height and mounting holes.
I used the PCI_Express_x16 Symbol from the symbol library for the PCB gold fingers.
Using the same symbol, I made a footprint for the PCIE socket / connector / adapter / plug by exporting an Easyeda model of the part I found, remapped the pins from 1 - 164 to A1 - A82 and B1 - B82 to match the PCI_Express_x16 symbol from the parts library.

As I started to run the traces in the PCB Editor, I noticed the PCI connector / socket on the original board, is actually on the opposite side (back?) of the PCB.

This is not going to work as-is. I need to have the connector on the opposite side of the PCB.

I cannot understand what I have to change to make this work! I am afraid I need to re-map all 164 pins. Maybe the pins were

Using Kicad, I can flip and rotate parts but this results in rows A and B being reversed.

Here are some pics…

Schematic

PCB from schematic (connector on wrong side)… Notice location of pin B1…

PCB with connector moved to the other side of PCB and rotated 180 degrees…

Is it really OK and I just need to run the traces? Do I need to re-do the pins? I am so confused.

The original board says the pin shown in the pictures should be B1. The only way this lines up is when the connector is on the wrong side of the PCB I am making.

Thank you.

I am confused by your confusion.
First you apparently put the connector on the wrong side of the PCB, then flipped it to the side of the PCB you wanted it, so what is the problem?

For things like PCI-E you can’t just run tracks. You need to add GND planes (probably a 4-layer PCB) use differential pairs and do length matching. Have a look at pictures of existing riser cards:

(See the squiggly tracks for length matching?)

Also, apparently there are also riser cables. May you can use such an off the shelf product, and then bend the cable so it fits your application?

1 Like

I had the pin rows wrong A and B. When flipping the connector (changing the side of the PCB) and rotating it 180 degrees, the row lettering changes. I confirmed this by ordering a cable PCI extender and comparing the pinouts. haha Not exactly what you suggested…

I see some crazy traces on those samples.
The board I am looking to make has a date of 2008. That is before PCI3, and 4, and whatever now. The 2008 date puts this board at around PCI 2.0, hopefully, there is much more forgiveness at these much slower speeds. … grin

Speaking of traces, how can I make cleaner, nicer looking big traces (copper filled zones) like the original board?

Original board

My chicken scratch -

The DRC laughs at me.

You already drew a copper zone around the connector. So add a few corners to that zone and extend it all the way to the edge connector.

And dealing with connectors can be quite confusing. The combination of mirror image and internal wiring can both be causes for confusion. Take for example a close look at the horror show in the picture below.

Also, with the method described below, you can also make a mockup of your PCB. Having something physical in your hands can help with smoothing out some confusion.

That is some beautiful cross traces… ^^^^^