PCBNew: White color for pad holes in color mode print

Please compare print in 5 and 6 versions and explain how set white color for pad holes in KiCad 6 in color mode.
KiCad 5:

KiCad 6:

I can’t answer that question but will write something that may be will be useful (or may be not).
I was trying to get pictures like yours when V5 was introduced. But noticed some problems:

• there were some bugs (don’t remember details) with colors (I reported and it was fixed),
  • changing colors to gray was easy, but I didn’t found the simple way to do it only temporary to simply get back to my working colors (closing PCB without saving didn’t worked).
  • when I had elements at bottom I had some problems with getting bottom view (don’t remember details),
  • I wanted SVG output (to simply insert in LibrOffice Writer document), and I could’t get one picture with element references and one with element values if I had both at the same layer. The flags hiding them at screen were not used during Print or Export. So to get these two types of picture I had to block for it two pairs of (F/B) layers and there is not a lot of such pairs.

We decided (years ago) to have drawing with references (I think typical), but also to have separate drawing with values (if I am modifying something at PCB I am not interested in references but in values).
So I decided to use Plot to SVG (you can plot with values and separately with references) and then mix plots using Inkscape. Mixing is very simple. My current process:

• if something is sticking out of the left or the top of PCB then add a very thin and short line at Edge.Cuts to be the top-left of everything at PCB.
  • plot to SVG typically 3 layers (with PCB edge added to all of them).
  • open copper layer with inkscape,
  • rectangle select all,
  • click at gray 10% and shift+click at 10% to get it grayed,
  • Ctrl+Shift+R to have the page as PCB,
  • import the other layer (accepting default - in previous inkscape version there were no questions),
  • manually set 0 in X: and Y: windows,
  • the same with next layer (if needed),
  • Ctrl+Shift+R if the added layer is bigger ten PCB (dimension lines for example),
  • save my picture.

I had only short look at V6. It looks that getting back to colors after having set the gray for getting the pictures is now simple. I don’t know yet, but if it is still not possible to Print or Export with references/values hidden than I will stay with my way.

I have just checked - I have no holes at my output at all, but I don’t want them.

I have written just assuming that may be it will be useful to you or someone else.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.