PcbNew on macOS: Where is Design Rules menu?

Hi!

I’m new to KiCad, so maybe this is just me not being used to the software. I have followed the “Getting To Blinky” tutorial, and found my way forward, but now I cannot find how to set track width in PcbNew. I have seen on the tutorial (and found info on internet) that I do that in a menu called PcbNew, but that menu doesn’t exist!

I use macOS 10.13.3 and KiCad 4.0.7.

Best regards,
Håkan Eriksson

It is not a menu called pcbnew.
Pcbnew is the application and problably the tutorial is referring to the menu bar.

Here you can find the information:
http://docs.kicad.org/stable/en/pcbnew.html#_setting_routing_parameters

Paragraph 8.3.6 to set track width
Paragraph 8.1.2 to select the track width you want for the current track.

1 Like

Thank you!

Oops, sorry, the menu name was a typo on my part. The tutorial (and internet in general) mentioned that menu, Design Rules, and I simply cannot find it in the Macintosh version.
Is there a keyboard shortcut for it?

Has anyone here used KiCad on Mac? I have tried searching for Mac specific help, but no luck.

I do not think there is a keyboard shortcut.

I’m using KiCad 4.0.7 on Mac OS X 10.9.5.

The “Design Rules” menu is between the “Tools” menu and the “Help” menu. Here is a screenshot.

Oh, I see!
Something must be very wrong with my…something, installation, or if it’s an OS thing (I’m on 10.13.3), because I just don’t have that menu.

There is a lot of GUI things that are a bit messed up – I know it’s open source, so I’m just kind of happy that the software exists and learn to live with the occasional odd behaviour, but several missing menus is something different than a window that fails to resize properly (see the empty area to the right in the attached file).

Maybe it’s the OS version, or maybe something with wx? This is a long shot, but I installed some version of wxPython a while back, and now I read that KiCad uses wx for its GUI – but maybe not wxPython?

Håkan

Oh, and another thing that struck me: The GUI has mixed language in many places, often in the same context (English and Swedish in the same window). All menus I have are with Swedish titles, maybe that’s a clue?

Håkan

For what ever it is worth, and from a newbie, I suggest a breeze through this discussion to make sure all is installed in the right place. I too am on HighSierra 10.13.3, I believe @kellyheaton may be as well, not sure about @Andy_P. Design Rules on mine shows up where the @ppelleti ppelliti screen shows.

This is usually due to a non fully completed translation. Nothing strange.

Thanks for the help!

I have read through the thread, and I doubt it’s the cause of my problems, it all seems to be about footprints and libraries – I have no problems with that. I have made schematics and one PCB layout, and I haven’t had any lasting problems with footprints.

I was thinking about installing a nightly unstable build of 5.0, but am a little bit nervous that it could make it even worse…

I had a problem on Debian once where it wouldn’t show any of the ‘help’ text when you hovered over a button and I didn’t know what a lot of different buttons did. If you have mixed languages that probably makes it harder to pin down. Does the documentation provide a clue as to who does the translation?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.