Pcbnew gui broken on archlinux

Hi,
I’m running kicad (5.0-dev-4067-g7a57606af) on archlinux installed using the kicad-git AUR package.
Two weeks ago (presumably) after updating some packages my pcbnew started to look like this:

This only happens when pcbnew is launched via the kicad launcher thing.
There are no error messages on stdout. (except for some unrelated wxPython warning that I’ve been seeing for a few months now).
Interestingly starting pcbnew directly via a shell works as expected.

Since I’ve first encountered this I’ve made sure all dependencies of kicad are up to date,
that there is no old outdatet AUR package getting in the way and I’ve recompiled kicad a couple of times.
No improvement so far.

Running kicad in gdb I found one segfault, that occurs when I try to close pcbnew.
The GUI is weird way before that.
I’d suspect that might be an entirely different issue.

Anyone here seen something similar to this?
I’m currently out of ideas on where to poke this thing.

Full version info:

Application: kicadVersion: (5.0-dev-4067-g7a57606af), release buildLibraries: wxWidgets 3.0.3 libcurl/7.58.0 OpenSSL/1.1.0g zlib/1.2.11 libidn2/2.0.4 libpsl/0.19.1 (+libidn2/2.0.4) nghttp2/1.30.0Platform: Linux 4.15.3-2-ARCH x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTKBuild Info: wxWidgets: 3.0.3 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 2.24 Boost: 1.66.0 Curl: 7.58.0 Compiler: GCC 7.3.0 with C++ ABI 1011Build settings: USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON KICAD_USE_OCE=ON KICAD_SPICE=ON

2 Likes

Thanks.
I must have overlooked that topic earlier while searching.

Installing wxpython-gtk2 seems worth trying, as I remember uninstalling it and installing the regular wxpython package a while ago.

If that works I’ll contact the maintainer of the AUR package to change the dependencies.

Okay.

Works and also takes care of the segfault on closing.
So those issues were related after all.

Also if I had bothered to read all the comments on that AUR packages I would have already found the solution there.
The maintainer seems to be aware of the issue, but does not want to specify wxpython-gtk2 as a dependency as it conflicts wxpython and breaks other software.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.