Pcbnew: CTRL-click to highlight/de-highlight nets

pcbnew contains the function to highlight a net with CTRL-Left-click.
De-highlighting the net is achieved with another (following) CTRL-left-click.

If I only want to have a very short look where a net is going I’m often to fast with my second “de-highlight” CTRL-click and Kicad thinks this is a standard double-click and opens the corresponding track-properties-dialog.

For my workflow this is not useful. But before filing a bugreport/requesting a behaviour-change I would ask if there is a benefit in the current behaviour.

forgotten: applys to v5.99

KiCad does not control the double click speed.
That is a part of your operating system.

Which means this is not true:

What happens instead is that your OS passes a message to KiCad that a double-click has happened. The timing for a doulbe-click is usually adjustable in your mouse driver.

What happens instead is that your OS passes a message to KiCad that a double-click has happened. The timing for a doulbe-click is usually adjustable in your mouse driver.

Thats correct. But Kicad could check if the CTRL-key is pressed during the doubleclick. And than differentiate: CTRL-doubleclick could get the same reaction as normal CTRL-single-click.
But thats only (easy) possible if CTRL-doubleclick is currently not assigned to a unique function.

Thats the background behind my question: Is there currently a function/purpose assigned to CTRL-doubleclick?

Why do you want KiCad to solve your own human input error?
Just decrease your double click threshold if you get double clicks when single clicks are intended.

I quite often make issues for very small usability bugs, but this is not a bug at all. Maybe there is some advantage to assigning multiple shortcut keys to the same action, but at the moment there are already many more actions then there are shortcut keys.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.