PCBNew 6: How to constrain track or via drag to 0/45/90?

Often I need to lay down a section of track that goes only part way to the destination, sometimes just leaving the end dangling, or ending in a via I know will be needed. (For example, when “routing out” a bunch of tracks from an MCU in a crowded neighborhood). Those tracks lay down with nice 0/45/90 constraints.

However, when I come back later to extend those tracks, I might start by dragging the “dangling” endpoint or via. Infuriatingly, that drag operation fails to obey any 0/45/90 constraint, and instead causes the last segment of track to move to any diagonal angle, such as the always-popular 88.5 degrees, or 47.2 degrees. :frowning:

I have Preferences > PCB Editor > Editing Option > Track Editing set to “Drag (45 degree mode)”, and also the nearby Graphics Editing > “Limit actions to 45 degrees from start” checked.

But these don’t appear to do anything for the drag endpoint or drag via operation I described.

What am I missing? Thanks!

Application: KiCad PCB Editor (64-bit)
Version: (6.0.7), release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.1.7
libcurl/7.83.1-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.12
Platform: Windows 10 (build 19044), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
Date: Jul 26 2022 02:49:38
wxWidgets: 3.1.7 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.79.0
OCC: 7.6.0
Curl: 7.83.1-DEV
ngspice: 37
Compiler: Visual C++ 1929 without C++ ABI
Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

@gwideman

Try the “D” hotkey, not the “G” hotkey.

Right mouse click on selected track segment explains the difference.

1 Like

@jmk Thanks!

Ah-hah! G = Free Drag. D = Drag constrained to 0/45/90.

What a relief!

Sure would be great if the settings dialog that purports to affect this had a note pointing out the D vs G distinction! But at least it’s good that the context menu gives a clue.

1 Like

Do you mean this? This is specifically referring to when you click and drag on a trace, not what happens when you use the hotkey.

For what it’s worth, the hotkey dialog explains the difference as well.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.