Pcb satellite modules

"Hello everyone, colleagues:)

I am passionate about electronics and also about mountains. There have been occasions when I’ve found myself in places where the cellular network doesn’t reach, precisely where I like to hike. GPS devices with satellite communication tend to be a bit expensive, so I came up with the idea of trying to make one myself. I would appreciate it if you know about modules and antennas that can be used to build these devices. Thank you very much, and I hope you’re having a great day. Any comments will be very helpful.

Welcome! I’m afraid this forum is aimed primarily at helping with KiCad-specific questions, rather than design questions, so you are unlikely to get much direct help. You may find more useful suggestions at the eevblog forums or similar. Once you have a design in mind though, any KiCad questions are perfect for this forum.

All that being said: GPS modules (and antennas) certainly exist at varying levels of ease-of-use/cost. Assuming that’s what you mean by satellite communication, you should be able to get some ideas from the eevblog forum. Just to be clear though, that’s all using open signals constantly coming down from the GPS constellation satellites. Any communication up to space would require access to a commercial satellite constellation specifically designed for handheld communication, which tend to be extremely expensive.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.