PCB missing from step file


#1

Hello,

Using the latest Windows build of Kicad (and 5.0 rc3), when I export a step file from Pcbnew, the file generated shows the components, but not the PCB. What shows up when opening the step file in FreeCAD is a bunch of components floating in air. Export produces a handful of error messages which might be related to this problem, but I can’t make sense of them:

Executing ‘“C:\Program Files\KiCad\bin\kicad2step.exe” --drill-origin -f -o “C:\Kicad\curie_dcb.step” “C:\Kicad\curie_dcb.kicad_pcb”’
Warning: 22:40:57: C:/Jenkins/workspace/windows-kicad-msys2/src/kicad/utils/kicad2step/pcb/oce_utils.cpp: addEdge: 1482
Warning: * added an auxiliary segment from 146.425,-150.012 to 146.425,-150.012
Warning: 22:40:57: C:/Jenkins/workspace/windows-kicad-msys2/src/kicad/utils/kicad2step/pcb/oce_utils.cpp: addEdge: 1482
Warning: * added an auxiliary segment from 148.013,-68.5999 to 148.013,-68.5999
Warning: 22:40:57: C:/Jenkins/workspace/windows-kicad-msys2/src/kicad/utils/kicad2step/pcb/oce_utils.cpp: addEdge: 1482
Warning: * added an auxiliary segment from 51.6001,-67.0124 to 51.6001,-67.0124
Warning: 22:40:57: C:/Jenkins/workspace/windows-kicad-msys2/src/kicad/utils/kicad2step/pcb/oce_utils.cpp: addEdge: 1482
Warning: * added an auxiliary segment from 50.0126,-148.425 to 50.0126,-148.425
Info: STEP file has been created successfully.

The VRML file generated looks fine. I don’t know if this is a Kicad bug, or if there is something in my design that’s causing the export to fail. Anyone know what’s going on?

Any help much appreciated!


#2

Is the board edge completely closed? Sounds like there might be gaps - i think vrml rendering is more tolerant of small gaps but step requires absolute accuracy. Check your edge cut layers at maximum resolution to see if they join exactly. I think you need to be more precise than the 3dp of resolution given.


#3

Thanks, that did it!

I removed my edge lines, redrew my outline in an external CAD tool (Draftsight), exported a DXF file (R12,R14), then imported that drawing on the Edge.Cuts layer. DXF import produces a + at the origin (actually many on top of each other) that I moved to the Dwgs.User layer. It also puts two extra lines near the + and under the edge lines that kept export from executing, so I removed them. I don’t know how this edge is different from the previous one since it was generated the same way, but before I produced my DXF, I joined all the lines into a single polyline. Perhaps that made a difference, my old tool required it.


#4

for complex board outline, you may find useful to have a look at:


#5

Thanks, that looks great!


#6

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.