PCB missing from step file

Hello,

Using the latest Windows build of Kicad (and 5.0 rc3), when I export a step file from Pcbnew, the file generated shows the components, but not the PCB. What shows up when opening the step file in FreeCAD is a bunch of components floating in air. Export produces a handful of error messages which might be related to this problem, but I can’t make sense of them:

Executing ‘“C:\Program Files\KiCad\bin\kicad2step.exe” --drill-origin -f -o “C:\Kicad\curie_dcb.step” “C:\Kicad\curie_dcb.kicad_pcb”’
Warning: 22:40:57: C:/Jenkins/workspace/windows-kicad-msys2/src/kicad/utils/kicad2step/pcb/oce_utils.cpp: addEdge: 1482
Warning: * added an auxiliary segment from 146.425,-150.012 to 146.425,-150.012
Warning: 22:40:57: C:/Jenkins/workspace/windows-kicad-msys2/src/kicad/utils/kicad2step/pcb/oce_utils.cpp: addEdge: 1482
Warning: * added an auxiliary segment from 148.013,-68.5999 to 148.013,-68.5999
Warning: * added an auxiliary segment from 51.6001,-67.0124 to 51.6001,-67.0124
Warning: * added an auxiliary segment from 50.0126,-148.425 to 50.0126,-148.425
Info: STEP file has been created successfully.

The VRML file generated looks fine. I don’t know if this is a Kicad bug, or if there is something in my design that’s causing the export to fail. Anyone know what’s going on?

Any help much appreciated!

Is the board edge completely closed? Sounds like there might be gaps - i think vrml rendering is more tolerant of small gaps but step requires absolute accuracy. Check your edge cut layers at maximum resolution to see if they join exactly. I think you need to be more precise than the 3dp of resolution given.

Thanks, that did it!

I removed my edge lines, redrew my outline in an external CAD tool (Draftsight), exported a DXF file (R12,R14), then imported that drawing on the Edge.Cuts layer. DXF import produces a + at the origin (actually many on top of each other) that I moved to the Dwgs.User layer. It also puts two extra lines near the + and under the edge lines that kept export from executing, so I removed them. I don’t know how this edge is different from the previous one since it was generated the same way, but before I produced my DXF, I joined all the lines into a single polyline. Perhaps that made a difference, my old tool required it.

for complex board outline, you may find useful to have a look at:

Thanks, that looks great!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.