SOLVED : Partial copy from one pcb to another

Hello all, I want to copy from one design partial placement of components from pcb_new to another pcb. On forum I found old answer : “You can open your board with pcbnew standalone and then append the other board file” not sure to understand ?!!?
By default kicad holds a single PCB at a time. Copy from one pcb to past to another does not work. Any real solution, exept re-align components and route manually ?
Thanks.

What is your KiCad version?
(For clarity, copy all 20 or so text lines from the about box)

Copy and paste of a selection should work now between different instances of KiCad. I just tried it in Pcbnew and it works for me in V5.1.9.

Hi @paulvdh, sorry for details, this is V5.99 :
Application: Pcbnew
Version: (5.99.0-8994-g20ec1fa354), release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.5
libcurl/7.71.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1g (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.3.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.0) libssh2/1.9.0 nghttp2/1.41.0
Platform: Windows 10 (build 19042), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
Date: Feb 11 2021 10:57:42
wxWidgets: 3.0.5 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.73.0
OCE: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.71.0
ngspice: 32
Compiler: GCC 10.2.0 with C++ ABI 1014

In between I saw is it possible to use “Replicate layout plugin” but this work only for hierarchical schematic, I’ve to investigate …

The “Replicate Layout” script is indeed a great solution to some problems.
The thread linked below has some useful information on how to use it:
https://forum.kicad.info/t/need-help-using-replicate-layout-plugin/22002/30

Thank you @paulvdh for the link, I already experience the plug-in, it works perfectly to duplicate a multiple times circuit on the same PCB using hierarchical sheet.
In my case, it is different, to the extent or I have an independent schematic, that I import by substituting it at a hierarchic sheet of my main schematic. I already have the PCB of this main circuit. I would like to take the placement/routing of the circuit to import to attach it to the main PCB. I have my two open projects, copy/paste between two project does not work. Does it exit a solution?

Currently only for 5.1.x branch. Save/Restore layout action plugin has yet to be ported to 5.99/V6.

Copy/paste should work between projects. I’m a bit busy now but maybe can test it later.

I just tried it, and it works for me.
A few days ago I already tried it for V5.1.9, but copy and paste also works in V5.99.

What I did:

1. Open KiCad-nightly with some project.
  2. Open KiCad-nightly again with some other project (click “OK” to accept the already running thingie)
  3. Open Pcb Editor in both instances.
  4. Press [Ctrl + a] and [Ctrl + c] to select all and copy it in one project.
  5. Go to the other project and press [Ctrl + v] to paste it.

Hi and thanks @paulvdh, I reboot my computer and try again. like you I open both PCB_new projects, instead of Ctrl+A (to Mark all) I use mouse to select part I want to copy, then Ctrl+C.On the other project Ctrl+V : Now it works ! :smiley: probably I’ve a mistake on Copy/past … Thanks to All !

1 Like

Indeed. If you press [Ctrl + v] on the other side it probably works better :slight_smile:

Hi and thanks @paulvdh, Corrected ! Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.