Page Layout Editor, adding line dialog

KiCAD 5.1.10 on Win 10. I would consider this a minor bug as it tripped me up momentarily. The add line dialog has start coordinates and end coordinates for the line, but the X and Y order is swapped. See the below screenshot, I highlighted the dialog box titles.

I personally would put X first and then Y (but I would also start my coordinate system origin in the lower left :grin:). Just being consistent, though, would be nice.

The Page Layout Editor from KiCad V5 and older is one of the parts that had received the least amount of attention from KiCad developers.

In KiCad-nightly V5.99 it has also received some updates (haven’t tested it myself much). But if you want to draw a line for example, it just changes your cursor so you can start pointing at line coordinates, instead of a popup such as you’ve shown.

So it’s already fixed, and you just have to wait for KiCad V6.

Coordinates have also received several improvements. in KiCad-nightly V5.99 you can both set the origin and the direction of your coordinate system. This is just visual though as far as I know. The “real” coordinates as used in the file formats have not changed (and will not change) as far as I know.

Thank you so much for taking time to reply. I appreciate the information!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.