Pad name case issue

I’m new to KiCad so be patient if my question sounds silly. I’ve searched in the old posts without find an answer.

In EESchema I placed the C96ABC connector and I assigned the footprint DIN41612_R_3x32_Male_Horizontal_THT. But when I update the PCB from schematic I get 96 errors (one for each pad) like these:

Info: Processing component "CN1:/5EF7FD19/5EF88240:Connector_DIN:DIN41612_R_3x32_Male_Horizontal_THT".
Error: CN1 pad A28 not found in Connector_DIN:DIN41612_R_3x32_Male_Horizontal_THT.
Error: CN1 pad B17 not found in Connector_DIN:DIN41612_R_3x32_Male_Horizontal_THT.
Error: CN1 pad A27 not found in Connector_DIN:DIN41612_R_3x32_Male_Horizontal_THT.

The problem seems the pads in the footprint have a lower-case name, like a28, b17, a27, etc…
In fact, changing them to upper-case fix the errors.

But I’m sure this is not the right way! I mean, this is my first component I’ve ever placed on KiCad and it’s from the official library. It cannot be wrong like this.

So, please, would you explain me why I get those errors and how to fix them?

I could not find the exact connector that you used in my library, but taking a look at all the footprints in the Connector_DIN library, all the pads are defined in lower case, if the symbol is defined in upper case then they are off course incompatible. That would be a bug in the libraries to be raised on the libraries repo.

Is it defined in the DIN41612 if the pads should be defined in lower or uppercase ?

Here the version information:

Application: KiCad
Version: 5.1.6-c6e7f7d~86~ubuntu20.04.1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.68.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1f zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.2.0) libssh/0.9.3/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.40.0 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Linux 5.4.0-37-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
Boost: 1.71.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.68.0
Compiler: GCC 9.3.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

The symbol is C96ABC from the Connector library.
Here a couple of datasheets of such a connector:

https://www.mouser.it/datasheet/2/276/1/0850030177_BACKPLANE_CONNECTO-230044.pdf

but there are no pin names.

I cannot believe this is actually a bug. That would mean who added this component to the library never tried to add it to a sample project in order to test it. And no one in the huge community of KiCad never used it…

As I mentioned, it is possible, many people contribute to the different parts of KiCAD, the libraries are very well checked before inclusion, I am sure somebody check if the direction, the line width, etc. etc. was correct before inclusion, and somebody else probably did it for the symbol, just, they didn’t have a convention for the pin naming.

In my library the connector that you are using is not present, taking a look at the repository

it seems that those footprints were recently updated (on May 2020), most of the people using standardized symbols, like to draw their own for multiple reason. Or maybe they had exactly the same problem, corrected and didn’t thought notifying about the inconsistency.

@der.ule you are right, the pin names of the symbol are uppper case while those of the footprint are lower case.
@Andrea_Simeoni, change the pin names of one of them to match the other.

The C96ABC is in the Connector.lib library and the DIN41612_R_3x32_Male_Horizontal_THT in the Connector_DIN.pretty library. The libraries are in the repo at least since March 2019.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.