Pad Creation Reverts to Default Properties

I don’t recall this being an issue in previous versions, but when trying to create multiple pads in the footprint editor, the pad properties are not copied over when incrementing pads and it reverts to default properties. See example below:

Is this a known bug/issue? I’m not seeing it in the gitlab issues from a quick search.

KiCAD version below:
Application: KiCad Footprint Editor

Version: 6.0.7-f9a2dced07~116~ubuntu20.04.1, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.68.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1f zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.2.0) libssh/0.9.3/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.40.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Linux 5.4.0-122-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, ubuntu, x11

Build Info:
Date: Jul 26 2022 19:32:41
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
Boost: 1.71.0
OCC: 7.5.2
Curl: 7.84.0
ngspice: 36
Compiler: GCC 9.4.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

We need exact steps what you have done/clicked upon the reproduce this.

In the meantime a guess: adding a new pad depends on the correct setting of the componet type attribute (SMD/THT) in the general footprint properties dialog. If this is set to SMD, new pads are always added as SMD-pads. If this is set to THT, new pads are added as THT-pads.

Good guess! That was it. I didn’t even know there was such a general attribute.

As a reference to others, I’ve attached a screenshot. The part was set to through-hole, and I was trying to create SMD pads. I needed to set this SMD.

@mf_ibfeew is this attribute documented anywhere? I’m curious what changing this does other than what just affected me (i.e. why this exists). Is there some way to use this to count TH/SMD parts in a BOM or the like for quotes from PCB Assemblers?

? I’m curious what changing this does other than what just affected me (i.e. why this exists).

• separate switch on/off view of SMD/THT in 3D-viewer
  • creating SMD-pick&place-file for pcb-placing machines (normally THT-parts can’t be placed with automatic placers)
  • the DRC checks if pad-type corresponds to fabrication type (for version v6.99 upwards)
  • BOM - I don’t know
  • this attribute should be accessible with Python scripting - so customized user-scripts could examine this setting and export/create lists based on this setting

is this attribute documented anywhere

I don’t know

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.