P-CAD import crashes pcbnew

Hello,

I’m currently evaluating my options for replacing good old P-CAD 2006, which I’ve been using since, well, 2006. One feature that’s important to me is the ability to import our existing P-CAD designs, which KiCad ostensibly can do. However, I’ve tried to open three different layouts saved in P-CAD 2006 ASCII format with pcbnew 4.0.6, both 32- and 64-bit versions, and in every case the software almost immediately crashes, with Windows 7 64-bit popping up a “pcbnew.exe has stopped working” message. Has anyone else experienced this? What’s the best way to go about alerting the developers to this malfunction? It won’t make sense for me to consider KiCad until this is fixed.

Thanks,
Aaron T.

The official place to file bugs is here https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+filebug, but you can often get useful assistance from this forum.

Either way, it would help a lot if you can post a sample file that reproduces the problem.

I can’t attach files, but here’s a link that’ll be good for the next month, to a sample P-CAD ASCII file that crashes pcbnew: pcad layout ascii.pcb

Also crashes for me too (4.0.2). I suggest to raise a bug and attach the file, for a reproducible crash it should get a speedy response.

I did a quick search and didn’t see any similar bugs, but I will try with a recent dev build as well.