Overlapping Pads

hello all.
I want to add increase the annular ring diameter of my through-hole pad only on one side of the PCB. Is it possible ? One way I thought of is by adding a Surface Mount pad on the pad on reverse side but it shows error of pad too close to pad. Can anyone guide on how to do this? I am new to kicad so I am sorry if this is a silly question. Thanks in advance.

It should work if you give both pads - the through hole and the SMD - the same pad number.

A somewhat easier approach…

Example: Let’s say you have a Part with the same Pad on Fcu & Bcu and want to change the Fcu Pad to a different size/geometry

1. Double-Click the Pad. Set ‘Copper’ to Bcu (was All), OK
  2. Copy the Part. Paste the Part (offset it a good distance - temporarily)
  3. Double-Click the Pad on the Copied/Pasted Part
  4. Set Pad geometry as desired, Set Copper to Fcu, OK
  5. Move the Part to make Overlaid on top of Original.

Now you have a Part with Original Pad on Bcu and New Pad with desired shape on Fcu.
Now, you can Window-Box it, Copy it and Paste it as many times as desired.

[EDIT I replaced photo#1. Ignore Pad Number2 in Steps3&4 was the wrong photo)

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 1.16.15 PM

RESULTS (Front & Back)
Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 12.30.55 PM
Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 12.31.07 PM
Pasted Multiple Times
Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 12.32.19 PM

1 Like

yes. thanks mate. it worked. I just changed the net and it worked. thanks anyways :")

I liked this approach and I will try it for sure.

The 2 methods are very similar.
The only difference is that Eelik stacks an SMD pad on top of the other, while BlackCoffee uses a copy of the existing pad.

Drilling 2 holes in the same location is not ideal. It wastes (a bit) of production time. But much worse: when the holes are not in the exact same location, the drills will bend and break, and for this reason there is a big chance that your PCB manufacturer refuses your board.

Adding multiple pads with the same number is normal practice in KiCad. It is for example used extensively for SMT footprints which have thermal pads and via’s.

Good point, @paulvdh

However, it’s worth noting that if Not turning Off the pad on the same layer having the SMD, then that pad will also be present. Not a problem if the SMD Pad is larger than the one underneath (on same layer). If not larger, they will combine

Pad turned Off on Top layer

Pad turned On on Top layer - Thus, Combined

This risks the top annular ring being below the manufacturer’s minimum.

Use THT pad for the hole and minimum annular ring, and add an SMT pad on each outer layer to whatever size you prefer?

It’s all insignificant variations of the same thing (Combining multiple pads with the same number).

Yeah, that was the solution to what Black Coffee said that I was thinking. I just didn’t have time to fully flesh out my post.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.