OS X homebrew KiCad tap! With library!

Ok, I know I haven’t released any of my KiCad builds in a while. Well, I’ve been working on a better solution than doing custom builds of KiCad.

Now you can do brew install kicad and build the latest revision at will. This is the initial ‘release’ and there are likely some issues, and definite improvements I will be making when I get time to cut down the build time (we really only should build the custom version of wx once, not every time, for example).

But for now, checkout https://github.com/metacollin/homebrew-kicad for full documentation and my tap!

And please, if you have problems, create an issue on github, and if you’re willing, also in this thread, for maximum visibility. Don’t be discouraged if things don’t work, because if you create an issue about your problem, I will do my best to fix it in a day or two, time permitting.

5 Likes

OMG <3

I’ve been trying to get a build with a library installed for days now. Even booted up Ubuntu in a virtual box and keep hitting dependency issues.

Building now!

I hope it works. I’m excited to hear if it does, and if it doesn’t, I’ll do my best to figure out the problem. Preemptive apologies just in case, considering how long it takes to build.

Also, I forgot to mention, its vital you update any package dependencies to the latest version, especially boost. Make sure you have boost 1.57 installed via homebrew.

The one thing missing is the documentation, but as soon as I figure out the full URLs for launchpad repos, I will add a formula for the documentation as well.

Hmm :frowning:

ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
make[2]: *** [kicad/kicad.app/Contents/PlugIns/_pcbnew.kiface] Error 1
make[1]: *** [pcbnew/CMakeFiles/pcbnew_kiface.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
couldn’t understand kern.osversion `14.0.0’

https://gist.github.com/Squeegy/4b458c398d241b20051d

Have you updated Xcode to the latest version? If not, please do that and make sure your command line tools are up to date as well. You should have Xcode 6.1, and if you do, double check the command line tools with the command xcode-select -printpath

It should be pointing to somewhere in /Applications/Xcode.app. If not, sudo xcode-select -switch /Applications/Xcode.app will ensure your command line tools are up to date.

If all that checks out, I hate to ask this, but if you could rerun the install but with --verbose set as well, and gist the output, that will be extremely helpful.

Squeegy, ignore my precious reply. I just saw your other thread. It appears you have an old framework release of Cairo on your system installed to /Libray/Frameworks. This is a bad idea and will interfere with any homebrew formulae that use Cairo as a dependency. Please uninstall or otherwise remove /Library/Frameworks/Cairo.framework and this should resolve both your manual build and homebrew issue at once.

1 Like

I had removed that framework temporarily, and it didn’t help my manual build. It just complained Cairo wasn’t there. I’ve moved it out again and I’m trying that again with your brew script now. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for the help on this, BTW.

YES!

After a mv /Library/Frameworks/Cairo.framework ~/Cairo.framework, your brew installed cairo dependency and it compiled and 45 minutes later, full success. CvPcb now even has footprints listed in it for the first time I’ve seen.

I’m a big KiCad newb, but plan on spending more time with it this weekend, and I’ll let you know if anything weird pops up.

Thank you so much for your work on this.

Great! :smiley: By the way, Cairo does not provide a framework for OS X anymore, and the supported usage is by building .dylibs instead. In fact, the website recommends using a package manager (like mac ports, fink, or homebrew) to install cairo, as it will be built as a dylib and installed where programs can find it. I am not sure where it came from, but if you need to use it in framework form, I would recommend seeing if you can find (or build) the most recent version, and make sure to make it universal so it includes 64-bit code in the framework. The one you have is 32-bit only, but building under Yosemite requires linking to 64-bit AND 32-bit, or 64-bit only, anything 32-bit only cannot be used. That is what the missing symbols error was saying - that needed 64-bit code in Cairo weren’t there.

However, if you don’t need it as a framework, the version installed by homebrew is fine and tools like autotools or cmake will find and link to it without issue. You can link to it manually too, all the binaries are located under /usr/local/lib/libcairo*.

Anyway, good luck. Also, homebrew doesn’t know to update --HEAD formula, so if you want to move up to a newer revision, you will want to run brew reinstall kicad --HEAD --without-kicad-library . This will upgrade it without wasting time on the library, which is updated every time you access it in KiCad (which is awesome! And why its on github!).

Unfortunately, it will still be a lengthy build every time, for now. I am working on making it reuse the patched wx files, but it will be a bit until that’s finished.

I think there are some rendering issues in PcbNew. Not sure how much of this is the mac install.

From all screenshots I’ve seen, that’s pretty funky. Especially with the bottom copper drawn over the top copper.

The OpenGL renderer looks MUCH better, though it’s got weird semicircle artifacts.

The Cairo renderer looks perfect, but it also REALLY slow. It’s completely unusable for layout and routing.

Other than that, everything appears to be working as far as my noob butt can tell.

The OpenGL renderer is the only one actively being worked on for OS X I believe. Cairo does not use hardware acceleration and renders entirely in software, which is a limitation of the Cairo project and not an issue with KiCad. Ths Cairo render is intended for Linux systems, only the OpenGL render should be used on OS X. But, it has been improving rapidly and the artifacts are probably simply a bug. I’ll double check, but I don’t think it’s causes by anything in the formula.

@Squeegy: I am unable to reproduce those artifacts on my machine. It’s possible it was a bug specific to the revision that the repo was at when you built it, and and has since been fixed.

Otherwise, it would seem to be a bug specific to certain versions of OS X or GPU hardware, which is probably something we need to track down. I certainly understand if you would prefer not to share this information, but if you don’t care, it would be helpful to know which model of mac you are on. Also, from the build logs you posted, I see you’re on OS X 10.10. I am running 10.10.1 and 10.10.2 (pre-release, for development reasons), and I can’t see artifacts in either of those. 10.10.1 fixes a lot of bugs and doesn’t break anything, so I am wondering if that is the issue?

I have no idea. I’ll link your post and screenshots to the develeoper mailing list soon, if you’re willing to share the information I requested, it would be helpful. And I 100% understand if you would rather not, too. Just thought I’d ask :).

Some more wierdness in pcbNew. I have to switch between OpenGL and default view modes quite a bit since different things work in different modes. I realized they aren’t just rendering modes, things behave differently.

In OpenGL it when routing a trace it will go around things and find a winding path to my cursor, which it won’t do in “default” mode. However, when it does there is a good chance it will crash (log here). Short traces that don’t have to go around anything work fine. No crash happens in the default mode, but the trace don’t automatically dodge other components either.

In OpenGL there are now arrows pointing to the spots that have DRC errors like there are in default mode. Nor is there the same info on the bottom of the window (“Unconnected pins: 3”, etc.)

And those minor OpenGL artifacts seem to go away once I work with the board for a bit.

Again, no idea if these are issues with my machine only, issues with the built mac version, or issues with KiCad in it’s current state of development. So let me know if this is a poor venue for these reports, I’m new here :smile:

As requested, here’s my specs.

works just fine for me! Thanks for your efforts!

The only issues I am experiencing are these two:

• Dropdown item are not clickable by mouse (such as current track width or grid size). I need to select these with use of the keyboard.
  • Kicad crashes when routing tracks with the option “route around”. It crashes pretty much all the time when using this option.

Everything else seems to look just fine (out of some known KiCAD missbehaviours or not-yet-implemented-features).

Airic

@Squeegy you are right - that are fully new modes… the shortcuts are also not matching…

• as fare as i know the push / shove router is only implemented in the openGL and cairo canvases.

sunny greetings
stefan

OK, I think there is a good chance the near-instant crash that the “route around” option is caused by how my homebrew formula handles the boost dependency. I am waiting on a local build that should either confirm or falsify this hunch for sure.

As for the click down menus, that is a bug in KiCad itself. Uh, I’ve gotten so used to using the arrow keys and return to do pulldown selections in KiCad I straight up forgot about this. That is because been a bug for well over a year, and you know how CAD goes…after a while it’s half muscle memory. :blush:

Here is the bug report, it’s known and unfixed. I’ll see if it can get more attention. ‘Getting used’ to a workaround doesn’t make it not a workaround for something that should be fixed. In the meantime though… arrow keys and enter ;). When they fix it, I probably will unintentionally keep using the keyboard for pulldown menus out of habit hehe.

Oh - ok I see. The more disturbing issue is for sure the crash problem as my KiCAD tends to reset itself to the “route around” option - no matter what I do.

As I had no Mac KiCAD earlier and am used to work with a Windows compiled one, I guess I need to get used to the pulldown bug because it does no seem to have big importance. After one year it still did not receive an importance ranking. ):

Airic

This is great! I’m really excited to see a homebrew tap for this.

Does it require Mavericks or Yosemite to work? I’m running OSX 10.8, and I keep getting this error while compiling:

==> /usr/bin/python setup.py build_ext WX_CONFIG=/private/tmp/kicad-fOQXPf/wx-bin/bin/wx-config UNICODE=1 WXPORT=osx_cocoa BUILD_BASE=/private/tmp/kicad-fOQXPf/wx/wx-build
/private/tmp/kicad-fOQXPf/wx-bin/include/wx-3.0/wx/strvararg.h:30:18: fatal error: 'tr1/type_traits' file not found
        #include <tr1/type_traits>
                 ^
1 error generated.
error: command '/usr/bin/clang' failed with exit status 1

I’m running Xcode 5.1.1 with the corresponding version of Command Line Tools. Is my only option to upgrade to Mavericks?

No, it should work with 10.7+ and Xcode 5. Can you paste the output of c++ --version

I think this is a problem with the formula, but it should be a quick fix. Expect something good in the next hour or two :slight_smile:

black-rainbows:Downloads morphogencc$ c++ --version
Apple LLVM version 5.1 (clang-503.0.40) (based on LLVM 3.4svn)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin12.5.0
Thread model: posix

thanks!