Organising Projects

I just started with KiCad and have a project consisting of a controller board, 3 equal FET highside power switch boards and a display & keyboard.board
Can this be done in one project file, as:
my project
¦–controller—sch
¦ ¦-brd
¦—power sw —sch
¦ ¦-brd
¦—display—sch
¦-brd
Or do I have to make a separte project vor each board?

1 Like

I don’t know if it not changed with released few days ago V8 but till V7 KiCad is one-project = one-PCB.

As Piotr mentioned, in KiCad it’s pretty much 1 separate project for each PCB. There have been some experiments for nesting projects inside each other, but it’s not officially supported and it has been years since I experimented with this myself.

But you can share custom libraries between projects. If your project has some kind of bus system for example, then you can create a custom schematic symbol for a connector and add all the signal names to the connector.

You just have to think of KiCad project = one PCB project.

You can have an electronics project = several KiCad projects + other things like connection diagrams, mechanical drawings, documentation, etc.

Thanks for the answers.
It looks like creating a parent folder for the whole project containing subfolders for each board with its schematic works.
Will see if I can finaly create a block diagram showing the connections between the boards from there schematics.
As you can see, I’m at the beginning of my learning curve.

1 Like