Open the Symbol editor twice, so copy and pasting between symbols gets easier?

Hi All,

I would like to create a schematic symbol by copying from a one or more symbols that have the elements that I need for the new symbol. In the KiCad symbol editor, this is a bit awkward, as I can not have multiple symbols open side by side, as I can’t open the symbol editor twice.

Is there a workaround for this?
My versions:
Application: LibEdit
Version: 5.1.7, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.5
libcurl/7.73.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1h zlib/1.2.11 zstd/1.4.5 libidn2/2.3.0 libpsl/0.21.1 (+libidn2/2.3.0) libssh2/1.9.0 nghttp2/1.41.0
Platform: Linux 5.8.14-arch1-1 x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.5 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
Boost: 1.72.0
OpenCASCADE Technology: 7.4.0
Curl: 7.72.0
Compiler: GCC 10.2.0 with C++ ABI 1014

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=OFF
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Is already possible in current nightly so will be possible in v6.

However, i notice something strange when copying from a derived symbol. In that case it does not copy the graphic i selected. Bugreport https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/6050

As a (temporary) workaround you can use a text editor to copy & paste parts of the graphics between schematic symbols. I would probably:

1). In the Symbol editor, make a copy of an existing symbol.
2). Move the part you want copyied for example 100mm to the right, (and/or delete unwanted stuff)
3). Save that symbol.
4). Mess around with a text editor.
5). Verify the graphics has arrived at it’s destination.
6). Delete the copy you made in step 1.

Also, a few years ago I had a little dab in Python, and in an afternoon I got as far as creating a KiCad schematic library with some 20+ connector symbols from a python script. If a scripting approach is usable for you then have a look at:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.