Open project from /media?

Hi all, I’m new here. I’m trying to open a Kicad project that is present on a SD card but I can’t find a way to select it. I’m on Linux and the Open Existing Project dialog doesn’t list the /media folder …
Kind regards
Gigi

Application: KiCad
Version: 5.1.9, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.5
libcurl/7.71.1-DEV GnuTLS/3.6.15 (NSS/3.49.2) (OpenSSL/1.1.1k) zlib/1.2.11 libidn2/2.3.0
Platform: Linux 5.4.0-80-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.5 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
Boost: 1.75.0
OpenCASCADE Technology: 7.5.0
Curl: 7.71.1-DEV
Compiler: GCC 10.2.0 with C++ ABI 1014

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=OFF
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Can you just copy it from the /media mount point onto your hard drive in a shell using cp ?

iirc “open existing project” starts in /home/$USER and the default dialog (gtk-based) shows shortcuts for key $HOME type locations (downloads, desktop) so you need to navigate to your root and then to /media

If KiCad has been installed as a flatpak or snap package it’s possible it can’t access anything outside the home dir.

1 Like

Of course yes but I use to work directly on the SD card using two PCs, at home or work. And a backup sometime…

Ah yes, it’s a flatpak

Part of a “normal” install is to add mime types for KiCad. Then you can just browse to your SD card with any file browser, and double click on a KiCad project file to open it.

File -> Open project -> +Other locations -> Computer -> Media

I fail to see the problem. (Yes, I’m on Linux as well).

It happen with Flatpak.

Kicad is being executed from a flatpak and thus has limited filesystem read access, for security and namespace isolation

Understand. The term “Flatpak” was new to me, sorry, but after a search I found it.
Why someone would want to use Snap or Flatpak eludes me, but hey, it’s your machine.

I think we have that isolation problem fixed in the nightly Flatpak but I can’t test right now. The main reason we like the Flatpak is that it lets us publish updated libraries (such as wxWidgets 3.1) that are generally unavailable to most Linux users without extra effort. wxWidgets 3.1 has many, many benefits over 3.0.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.