Open multiple projects in 5.1.6

Hello!

I have just noticed 5.1.6 is out, and I downloaded and installed.
I wanted to open another project in parallel, just to check how I implemented some part
of a similar hardware in the past, but I noticed it’s not possible anymore to open 2 projects
in parallel. Is it on purpose?
Last time I did it, Kicad used to ask something like: Kicad is already open. Do you want to
open anyway?, and when clicking yes, a second project could be open. That was very
useful in some cases. Now it doesn’t ask anything, closes the current program and opens
the new one.

Thanks,

Pascal

2 Likes

My workaround for situation where I need to have two KiCad files open simultaneously is to launch EESCHEMA/PCBNEW in a standalone mode (from command prompt)

What operating system are you on?

Hello!

What operating system are you on?

Sorry! I am using Windows10.

My workaround for situation where I need to have two KiCad files open simultaneously is to launch EESCHEMA/PCBNEW in a standalone mode (from command prompt)

I’m sure there are workarounds. But the point is that it used to work differently and I would like
to know how to restore the original behavior (other than reinstalling an older version).

Thanks,

Pascal

That’s a strange problem, I’m pretty sure it shouldn’t do that but it should be possible to open several projects. For me it seems to work OK, with quick testing (I just installed the official 5.1.6 package to test).

Here are the steps:

1. Open KiCad executable from a Windows Start menu shortcut.
  2. The project view is open.
  3. Open KiCad executable from a Windows Start menu shortcut second time.
  4. It asks whether to continue.
  5. Allow continuing.
  6. There are two project views open.

Hello Eelik!

Indeed, the behavior is different if I go back to the start menu. But I think it has changed because
the first thing I do when I install a program is to set a taskbar icon, and I never go to the start menu except sometimes for shutdown. So it must have worked with file->open project in the past, or
open recent, which are the methods I use most of the time.

Thanks,

Pascal

Open recent never opened a second KiCad window. It always closed the current project before opening the new one.

And regarding your taskbar item. If you created it by selecting “pin to taskbar” then it also will never be able to spawn a second KiCad instance. This is just how this WINDOWS feature works (KiCad can not change the behaviour of this feature). This behaviour is the same in at least Windows 7 and 10. Not sure about Windows 8 as it is quite some time since i used that.

1 Like

Just FYI, I just tested a desktop shortcut (as opposed to task bar item - this is my MO). It creates a second instance (after confirmation). This is Windows 10 Pro and is up-to-date WRT official fixes. This is something I do occasionally for basically the same reason as OP.

Edit: Sorry, this is 5.1.6_1.

Have never heard about it. Where are those good times when computers were simple :slight_smile:
I am using (Windows 7) some addition toolbar (Utl, but it is probably name set by us):

I don’t remember how it was done (my brother found it and just did it also at my computer) and even don’t know how to name it. The advantage of this can be seen when you have many icons and you have taskbar vertical, not horisontal, as in that toolbar several icons can be located in one line:

Using icon from that toolbar I can also run (after confirmation) many instances of KiCad 5.1.6.

KiCad has never worked like this for me.
Same as what Rene said:
If you open a project from within the KiCad Project amanager, then that project is opened in that instance of the project manager.

If you start a new instance of the project manager, you have 2 Project Managers open at the same time.

I usually open a 2nd project manager by double clicking on a “project.pro” file in my file manager.

I run on Linux though, current KiCad:

Version: 5.1.6-c6e7f7d~86~ubuntu18.04.1, release build

KiCad still shows me:
Which I don’t understand, as it’s a pretty useless window.
I always get (mildly) annoyed when my computer tries to second guess what I tell it to do.
Is this still in V6?

I’d like to propose a change:
(my preference would be to skip the window completely)
More universal:
Put 3 buttons in the window instead of 2.

1. Cancel / Close.
  2. Open in existing Project Manager.
  3. Open in New instance of Project manager.

On top of that add a checkbox with:

[ ] Do not annoy me again.

I first saw the “Do not annoy me again” in Code::Blocks It was a very satisfying experience to enable that option. It makes me feel like my computer is actually trying to learn what my preferences are. It’s also right under your nose so you don’t have to search through menu’s. All the “[ ] Do not annoy me again.” were also reflected somewhere in the preferences / settings so it was still possible to reset to the default behavior. I find it a very elegant solution.

https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/2454

Tnx for the link eelik.
glad to see that it’s above the horizon.
I also agree with Wayne’s remark that it is a very low priority item, and therefore I did not add a “Thumbs up” on Gitlab.

Hello!

KiCad has never worked like this for me.
Same as what Rene said:
If you open a project from within the KiCad Project amanager, then that project is opened in that instance of the project manager.

OK, that must be my mistake. I tried another method: double click another project file, and this
one works. As this is one of my favorite methods for starting a program, I suppose I did like this in the past. Sorry for all that mess.

Pascal

Even if you think it is a low priority, I would encourage you to still leave the thumbs up if you want the feature/fix. What us devs may view as a lower priority may actually be a change many people want, but we have no way of knowing that unless people “up vote it” by giving it a thumbs up.

2 Likes

To start new process instead of switching to existing one just middle-click the taskbar icon. Works on any app.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.