One track on 2 layers, possible bug?

I have 2 hole trough components when i lay down a track from one to the other i get ma track.
Now i switch to the second layer and i wanna do the same thing (power track).

It seems to remove the old top layer track, anycone can confirm if this is a bug?

That behavior is not a bug, it is by design. If you reroute a track KiCad will delete the old one. On the left side toolbar about half way down is a button with two tracks and an ‘X’ through one of them. Use this button to toggle that feature on and off.

1 Like

it just seems to ignore that setting.

Its a feature. This should make improving the pcb design easier. (If one discovers that a track is not at its optimal location one can simply make a new trace and the old one is removed automaitcly.)

You can turn off this feature in the left toolbar:

You could also use zones to achieve something similar as you try to achieve here. (It makes it very easy to create very wide tracks.)

Edit: The 3d view of one of my boards that uses zones to achieve high current traces. (Top and bottom zones are connected at tht components and additionally with vias where it makes sense.) Blue: bottom copper, Red: Top copper

1 Like

The button is a toggle button. If it is slightly blue the feature is turned on.

If it really is turned of:
What is you kicad version?
Operating system?

I know, its off now, seems to be one track, i tried it on another and works fine there.
This is W7 64bit Kicad 4.0.5.

Found it, seems if the tracks perfectly align the old one dissapears even if the button is off.
I tried restarting Kicad, nothing seems to fix this. maybe create a new project to test it better.

Check in legacy canvas… in opengl the colors don’t ‘mix’ additively, just overlay instead… maybe that solves the visibility issue?

If you can get the problem to reliably reproduce with a very minimal board, you should make a bug report. (give your pcb_file as attachment.)

How to: https://kicad.org/help/report-a-bug/
Bugtracker: https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad

Make sure that this bug is not reported already. If it has been reported already, mark the original bug as “affects me”. You can also comment on the bug and give your example project with the replication description.
(The better a bug is documented the higher the chances that a developer will fix it.)

2 Likes

Seems to be a OpenGL bug, i think when i start playing when the button is on and turn it off later and retry it ignores the button. When i switch to Cairo it works fine, and i still have to test this but i think even when i switch back to OpenGL.

Will try to locate it better later.

Thank you for all the help!

2 Likes

Hi I’m having the same issue.

I am working on a 2 layer board and every time I overlay a track, the track I am covering disappears. I have switched between all modes (Default, OpenGL and Cairo) and it still occurs. It’s strange b/c I was able to overlay a number of tracks initially…

I can only post 1 image at a time so will show with 3 posts.

Thanks

Adam

F Layer

B layer

Kicad has a feature where it automatically deletes tracks that you replace with new tracks. It is controlled by a button in the left toolbox.
(Screenshot made in nightly build version. Details might differ in any other release.)

1 Like

Thanks Rene.

I toggled it and tried a few times in each state. I still get the same result. Also tried in the different views. My trace still disappears…

I solved the same problem
Preferences->Iteractive routing uncheck “remove redundant tracks”
( I have an Italian version I hope the menus words are similar)
Button on the left can’t work for me.

My version:
Application: kicad
Version: 4.0.7 release build
wxWidgets: Version 3.0.3 (debug,wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1011,GCC 7.1.0,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Boost version: 1.60.0
Curl version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.11 libssh2/1.8.0 nghttp2/1.23.1 librtmp/2.3
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
USE_FP_LIB_TABLE=HARD_CODED_ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON

A quick and dirty hack:
Route the trace on the one layer and when you decide that this is its final version, do the following:
hover the mouse over the trace and hit “U” or “I”, if the track is more complex. Then hit Ctrl-D, then “E” and from the menu chose the other layer.
This way you will clone the track and will change the layer of the cloning.
Of course, if you decide to change something on the original, you’ll have to do the same on the cloning. The good thing is that the cloning is not deleted even if you change something on the original one.

This still seems to be a bug in Version 5.1.0

I have unchecked the “auto-delete old tracks” in Preferences - PCBNew. Tracks still auto delete the moment the track on the other payer is made (simple 2 layer board)

The work around by madrigal seems to work