One missing feature about KICAD schematic worksheet

Hi everyone,

When I relocate an element in the schematic, the line it is connected to does not come with the element.

Is there a way to do this ?

thanks in advance…

You can select multiple items to move by drawing a selection marquee over them (try the different effects of drawing this from left or from right). Dragging an item will only drag what is selected. Why would you expect the transistor to move with the GND? How would you move the GND symbol independently if it has become grafted to the transistor purely because the junction points were coincident?
In any case it is probably more useful to draw a wire connecting these symbols as this will reveal connected nets when you select net highlighting.

The attachment points of schematic symbols have to be aligned perfectly with the ends of wires or the attachment points of other schematic symbols for KiCad to recognize the connections.

What do you mean with:
This is a somehow manipulated image. If the emitter of the transistor is unconnected, there is a small circle around the attachment point of the pin, and these circles only disappear when then the connection is made, as in the right side of your screenshot.

There is no magnetic snap function in KiCad to align wires with attachment points, or attachment points to each other. It is very strongly recommended to set your grid to “50 mils” and align all schematic symbols with that grid.

While editing your schematic, you can hover over a schematic symbol or wire and press g to grab that part and drag it while keeping wires attached. When you use grab and schematic symbols are attached directly (without wires in between) then those schematic symbols will move with it.

2 Likes

I just played in v5.1.10 and found that the OP’s screenshot is indeed valid. Note how the GND symbol is lighter colored. That seems to mean that it is actively being moved. The attachment point circle on Q1’s emitter won’t appear until the GND symbol is placed somewhere else.

@Tuana_Busra_YILMAZ I think the issue is because you don’t have a connecting wire between the GND symbol and Q1. EESchema won’t create new wires to create connections, even if breaking a pin to pin connection. If you put in even a single grid-step wire between the two pins like this (the wire is the green line):

Then if you use the drag tool (keyboard shortcut g) then you should see this while moving the GND symbol around:

1 Like

Ah, indeed.
The circle on the emitter only appears after movement of the GND symbol is complete.

But it’s still just a move, and KiCad can not know what you want to move.
So either drag a box around a section and move it as a block, or use g for grab, and move the schematic symbol together with other attached symbols, and stretching attached wires.

I didn’t elaborate above, but with the OP’s arrangement where the GND symbol’s pin is directly attached to Q1’s emitter pin when you use g both the GND symbol and Q1 move because there was no connecting wire between the two. Presumably then the rubber-banding would be on the wires connected to the base and the collector, but in my sample I didn’t have them connected to anything.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Dragging from the keyboard by pressing the ‘g’ key was enough for me.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.