Nudge (move with keyboard arrows) a footprint in pcbnew?

I’m pretty sure there isn’t such a facility - but I was somewhat surprised I didn’t find such a question formulated already, so I thought I should post:

Is it possible to select a footprint, and then “nudge” / move it using the keyboard keys (typically arrow keys, left arrow, right, up, down)?

I guess it is somewhat impossible in Legacy Canvas, since AFAIK it doesn’t have a concept of a “static” selection - you select, and then you move immediately with the mouse what you select; but in OpenGL canvas, we do have a “static” selection (indicated by highlight), so in principle a “nudge” with keyboard action is viable. I guess, I’d expect such an action to move the footprint in quanta according to current grid settings.

(Note also I’m not asking about “Move exactly”, where I have to enter en explicit amount to move each time)

1 Like

It works in both legacy and opengl. Select the part and to “move” (hotkey is M). Then move with arrow keys. Press Enter to complete the move or Esc to abandon.

KiCad actually works quite well with just a keyboard.

3 Likes

Many thanks, @bobc :

Awesome, just tried it, works great - wish I knew about this before :slight_smile:

For a list of other useful hotkeys press ‘?’.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.