Not terribly exciting but my footprint (3D shown) of a board standoff

I’m only posting because when I asked about footprint details to make a “standoff” footprint some posters replied they’ve never seen a standoff footprint. Although I’m sure many have I thought it would be nice to post (at least the 3D).

My motivation was to have the “keep out” area of the standoff in the courtyard.

Screenshot 2024-01-19 002932

3 Likes

Is that a nylon hex standoff? Used to see a lot of brass ones in PCs ages ago for mounting motherboards in cases. I bought a box of assorted nylon screws, nuts and pillars a while ago.

1 Like

The standoff’s I have are nylon, however the 3D is a metal depiction. It was the only 3D I could find with the required “across flats” dimension.

I purchased a “kit” of M2 and M3 plastic spacers on eBay.

FreeCAD has a Fasteners Workbench that contains Standoffs. You can set the Size and tweak the geometry to parrot what you purchase… Can also set Material.

ADDED: If (big, ‘if’ ) you have STEP files of parts that you want to Color, you can use several CAD programs to do it. If not skilled with CAD but willing to make minimal effort at it, I show how to Color STEP files with a minimal of CAD skill (go to near the end of this Second Video)…

Screenshot shows them in Plastic and Shiny Plastic…

Thanks, I didn’t know there was a specialized workbench. I played with Freecad some time ago and was able to make some simple 3D’s. My issue was if I didn’t keep working with it I tended to forget what I learned.
But I’ll give it another go now that you’ve enlightened me about this workbench.

John

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.