Not plotting the ECO layer in Gerber

Hi.
I would like to give my manufacturer a layer with information for creating a stencil. I would like to do this with the ECO layer. But when I plot the gerbers, the layer is empty.
Is there something I’m missing?
Kind regards

Stencils are usually derived from F.Paste and B.Paste
ECO1 & 2 stands for Engineering Change Order and is typically used for design notes

1 Like

Why the ECO layer and not F.paste or B.paste that are intended for solder paste?

Do you have any drawings in the ECO layers?

1 Like

Hi.
Thanks for your answer.
I have no drawing in the ECO layer.
The solderpad of a XHP35HI LED looks different than the stencil pattern (see datasheet). That’s why I want those as two different layers.

And KiCAD treats them separately as well.

x.SolderMask is for what they call ‘PCB Solder Pad’ (= the holes in the soldermask)
x.Paste is for what they call Stencil Pattern (= the holes in the stencil)

You might want to check out this thread for an example how it works:

2 Likes

Well, if there is nothing in the ECO layer, is normal that the gerber ECO layer is empty.

I have seen the datasheet. No need of 2 different layers.

1. Make the central pad as 3 different pads put together. In the pad properties, set the solder paste clearance.
  2. Or make the central pad as 3 different pads with some distance between them and fill the gaps with a thick track. Also here set the pad solder paste clearance as needed.

In both cases, give the 3 central pads the same pin number.

2 Likes

Hi.
Thank you for your help.
I have now created the stenicl pattern as pads in the F.paste layer and underneath the footprint as pads in F.Cu layer.