NoMask copper area(for right angle PCB welds) with an imported DXF file

Hello there,

I’m designing a simple adapter for edge card connector that will have another reinforcing PCB at 90 degrees soldered to it(For structural purposes only) and would like to know how’d you go about doing it?

I’ve got the copper and no mask areas already separated from the edge cuts layer.

Also this would answer some other questions I had.

copper nomask area:

Edgecuts:

This looks like the oval pad shape. So i would go with a footprint that has an oval pad (with oval hole)

Yeah but I’d like to do it with the mentioned way sins alot are shaped differently.

You can draw anything on the mask layer to achieve this. Make a normal zone or draw lines.
Round shapes are hard to achieve this way. (Pads are ideal for something like this because they are round.)
I would use pads where possible and use zones for everything else. (You can make quite complex shapes by overlapping pads of different shapes and sizes.)
Another option is python scripting. (I think @HiGreg can help there with his KiCommand stuff.)

Yeah but I’ve been told you can create copper area by importing your file to Eco layer or something like that and then somehow convert it to copper area…

You can use the drawing commands of KiCommand by drawing on noncopper layers then use the tocopper command. Most of the drawing commands in KiCommand (edit) work with drawsegments on noncopper.

This sounds like a great test of KiCommand, please let me know if you need help or additional commands!

KiCad What?never knew you could do it… if so where? also my drawing are more like closed vectors rather than some dense drawing.

In KiCommand there are commands to connect segments that are close to each other (connect), to form a regular polygon (regular), and to form an equilateral polygon (equilateral). You can also cut lines into two. And maybe a few other things that make working with shapes and drawsegments.

Sorry for the late replay but Amman.

I’m not sure what this means. Is it good? How is KiCommand working for you? Any questions or comments?

No it was suppose to be a joke but no point explaining it now :smiley: just mean I didn’t quite get it but for now I’m using Rene’s foot print solution just to do the job do you maybe have an example of the kicommand you were talking about maybe explaining the work flow with it?