No symbol libraries or footprints [ubuntu, stable 4.06 installation]solved

I have searched this site for an answer to my question, while the question has been asked it kind of like has no answer. I just downloaded the latest stable version from this site : 4.06-e0-6349-53-ubuntu. I started the program, pressed the Eeschema button and got an error “The following libraries where not found” and when’t on to list all the libraries. I checked the path, it was correct. the folder is in fact empty. Then i tried the footpirnts exactley the same no footprints. Therefore, my question is where do i get them and i do i install them?

Doesn’t the installer have these or similar options under Ubuntu?

@SchrodingersGat, @cbernardo, @jwpartain1 or @bobc might know what’s going on.

I can only imagine the library organization got changed from what 4.06 expects, but I wouldn’t know for sure as I neither use those libraries or the stable release of KiCAD.

PS: if you want to go manually about it you just have to go here and download what you need.

.pretty contain the footprints and under kicad-library you’ll find the symbol libs.

Then it’s just a matter of it either working out of the box (if you placed the ‘missing’ files in the correct locations) or doodling around with the library setup dialogs/wizards to set up the paths to the libs.
Unfortunately schematic symbol libraries and footprint libraries behave differently.

Do you have the package kicad-library?
This installs symbols to /usr/share/kicad/library and a limited set of footprints to /usr/share/kicad/modules.
These directories are not writeable by kicad, which causes problems later.

So, I always then create a couple of directories
/home/myname/kicad
/home/myname/kicad/modules
/home/myname/kicad/modules/packages3d

and then copy the modules to this new writeable modules directory
I edit Preference Paths, so that KISYSMOD and KISYS3DMOD point at these new directories

1 Like

Thank you for your replies,
II id something silimar to what davidsrsb sugested.
I installed (on a virtual machine) a copy of kicad from the repo, copied all the modules and libraries and put them in the newer version. I had to get the fp-lib-tables from git hub
the problem is solved

Sorry about this , I might have spoke to soon about this being solved. Further to my probem, or this could be another problem. When I started to use Pcbnew, it connected and downloaded something when it finished i received this message.

“The fowing errors occured attempting to convert the footprint assignment
Q1 footprint T092 not found
Reassign them manually next time you want to inport netlist in Pcbnew”

here is the thing, there are lots of footprints but very few of the common footprints for example there are only 4 resistors no diodes, LEDs(hole throu type).

Can I assume that these are the footprints that were not reassigned. If not,where are all these footprints

Thank you

Open CvPCB in EEschema and check the link for Q1… what footprint in what lib is it pointing at?