No library in KiCad 6.0 on Ubuntu 20.04

I installed KiCad 6.0 on Ubuntu 20.04 as it was told here - Install on Ubuntu | KiCad EDA by command line, when I want to add library as it was told here - Getting Started in KiCad | 6.0 | English | Documentation | KiCad

Blockquote

1. Select the Project Specific table. Click the file browser button below the table. You need to find where the official KiCad libraries are installed on your computer. Look for a library directory containing a hundred of .dcm and .lib files. Try in C:\Program Files (x86)\KiCad\share\ (Windows) and /usr/share/kicad/library/ (Linux). When you have found the directory, choose and add the ‘MCU_Microchip_PIC12.lib’ library and close the window. It will be added to the end of of the list. Now click its nickname and change it to ‘microchip_pic12mcu’. Close the Symbol Libraries window with OK.

Blockquote

I found there was no folder “library”, and most of the folders under “kicad” were empty, how to fix this?

The instructions are out of date (they’re for v5), but for v6 try looking in /usr/share/kicad/symbols/ and look for .kicad_sym files.

@MianQi

Sorry, I’m confused.
Are you trying to add the official libraries or your personal library?

I think they are following the v5 getting started guide, which seems to have you add the MCU_Microchip_PIC12 library from the official libraries to the project-specific library table.

I want to add components, but it was empty here:

There was not even folder “symbol” inside “/usr/share/kicad/”.

Found it, it was here - Download Libraries | KiCad EDA

Thanks you two for your response for my post.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.