No Connect and Net Labels in v6 ERC

I discovered some - in my opinion - strange behaviour in v6. If we take the following minimal example:

I have a single resistor with two wires attached. I give each wire a net label and add a NC to one of them. Now the ERC shows a warning that the NC is incorrectly placed (NET_B) but no warning or error whatsoever regarding the unconnected net (NET_A). I can parly understand the warning, although I like to name even the unconnected nets in the schematic and afterwards explicitly add a NC to show that they are not in use. The second point though is a serious bug in my opinion since connecting pin to a wire with a net label does not imply that it is connected to anywhere else. Any thoughts on that?

The second point though is a serious bug in my opinion since connecting pin to a wire with a net label does not imply that it is connected to anywhere else. Any thoughts on that?

This topic is tracked with gitlab issue 7203: ERC error for label connected to only one pin (#7203) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab. If you like it you should upvote the issue.

I get the same result:

And I also agree. As long as a “No Connection” flag is connected to a net with only one pin, it is still an open connection and it should not give a warning.

A “No Connection Flag” that is not connected to anything does get flagged, and this is good.

A wire with a label and two “No Connection Flags” does not get flagged (which seems OK for me, although probably not useful.

I would consider it a

but I do agree it’s a minor bug or inconvenience.

Ah, thanks, didn’t find the corresponding issue in the tracker. And as Silvia Else wrote in the comments in v5 there was already a warning. But I do think it’s a rather relevant bug since the electrical rule check should check for plausibility and for example a resistor which is only connected on one side is something it should warn you about. No matter if the unconnected side has a net label or not, it’s electrically wrong imho.

… unless you place a NC on it and know what you’re doing :wink:

It’s somewhat related to #7203, but it is still another issue because #7203 is not about the No Connect flag, and this issue is.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.