Nightly pcb-file using with 5.1.2?

Hello,

I just made a schematic and pcb with a nightly build, because the stable version from windows OS always crashed during a specific thing.

Now I can’t open the pcb file with the stable 5.1.2 version in macOS?
Is there a possibility to get that file working with the stable version?

Thanks a lot. Andy

Have you reported this bug ? Have you checked if it was fixed since 5.1.2 in the nightly v5 (https://kicad-downloads.s3.cern.ch/index.html?prefix=windows/testing/5.1/) ?

For now, there is no much difference between a v5 and v6-to-come pcb file, but things will get worse probably in a very near future.

The most visible difference today is the the inclusion of a “max_error” property.in the setup section. You can try to remove it (after a backup, obviously) and try to load it in pcbnew v5. If it works, don’t forget to refill zones (b key).

Hi Efcis,

thanks so much! It worked! I removed the max_error line in the pcb file, saved and now I can open it.

No, I didn’t reported the bug. Next step will be go back to stable at the windows machine and try to reproduce the bug and report it.

Well this is the danger of using development snapshots. They are not guaranteed to produce files that can be opened in previous versions. Is it a good idea to use a nightly build version?

There kind of where massive changes already behind the scene and recently some changes where made to the file format. In particular to how zones are handled making nightly files no longer able to be correctly read by stable builds. Other changes will follow soon. (Yes there could be time invested in keeping a fallback mode but that would take away resources from other stuff. Nightlies are simply not meant for production work.)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.