Nightly Builds - How can I find revision number?

Hi,
I’ve just installed KiCad Nightly build r13579 and I don’t know where I can find the revision number in the program

Setup window:
kicad

Main Window:
kicad_main

About Window:

Version Info:
kicad_vers

The program's info shows that I have installed Kicad 5.1.0 r1079

I already installed KiCad r13573 and got same information

Could you please inform me if are any problems with revision information or with Nightly builds to Windows 10 (x86-64) ?
If not, where can I find the correct revision number installed?

Thank you

1 Like

Revision numbers are not really what is important to know what version you use. (Some packagers left it in as a reminder of a past before git.)

The git hash is what really identifies your version. This is the stuff after the point in your revision number and also the stuff after -g in the version string. You can then use git log on the source repo to really see in detail where your nightly build is along the development and what changed recently (or even after it)

obligatory: Is it a good idea to use a nightly build version?

1 Like

@Rene_Poschl,
Thanks for the reply

I always use nightly builds since I found them and the revision number was displayed on main window.

I think I stop using KiCad (stop developing my projects) in January/February and only now I update KiCad and I thought it was odd that I can’t find the revision number in the program

Thanks for the explanation

The version number is “<tag>-<# commits after tag>-g<git hash>”

tag is the last tag in the repo, e.g. “5.1.0”
# commits after tag is the number of commits since that tag was applied
git hash is the last few digits of the head commit when the build was made.

Confusingly “Release” just means the code was built with Debug options turned off.

But, I can’t figure where the r13579 comes from, presumably added by the packaging.

2 Likes

I don’t understand where this number comes from too

I just installed Nightly build r13394 from 2019-06-07 and this is the info on the main window:
kicad_2

For me, the only correct information about version is what @Rene_Poschl said about git hash, in this case is a75dd7f48 and is the same as in the Nightly build file’s name:
kicad_3

My guess is that the r number counts the number of commits made.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.