Nightly Builds feature list

Hi,

1- Where I can i find whats new in the latest nightly builds?
Yesterday i installed " kicad-product-r6977.959450b-x86_64.exe " and i just checked the siye again today and again there was a new build called " kicad-product-r6980.98bc4d3-x86_64.exe ".very happy to see the new releases, but how do I know whats new in the latest builds?

2- while installing the latest build, first i uninstalled the 4.0.2 stable and then the latest build got installed, after opening the sw, my personal lib from different drive was still existing in the preference settings, how?

1 Like

Nightly builds are started everyday. This is automated. Nightly builds aren’t new releases.
If you want to know what was changed in partucular build, you need to reviev the Changes log. Or know the BZRxxxx number (on the window title), then search for this number in Launchpad history: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kicad-product-committers/kicad/product/changes/6980 if you like to know what changes are made in code.

Because they are configured in project(s) files .pro in case of symbol libraries and in Footprints Library Tables in case of footprints. The global library table is confgured per user in his local files, local table per project (fp-lib-table file inside project folder).

2 Likes

Hi,

Nightly builds and Development builds ( using winbuilder) are different right?

I assume that the Testing versions found in the below link and the one made using winbuilder are same.

http://downloads.kicad.org/windows/testing/

again in that link, for windows 2 exe’s were available like auto and manual, what it is? and I can see a most recent version is available for linux only?

Ignore testing folder. That looks to be used by developers to test something on going.
Nightly builds @keruseykaryu explained it already.
Winbuilder afaik will not create a package. This Nightly builds I presume use the same mechanism as the release productions, but it just use the very latest version of the development branch source code.

@nickoe may help explain it better.

1 Like

“testing” was used so volunteers could test some major features like the 3D plugin and the new 3DViewer. At the moment those 2 features have been merged so there is really nothing to build for testing now. Tom and Orson at CERN have added simulation via ngspice but that feature is available elsewhere:

https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg25483.html

1 Like

The testing folders are just a place to upload testing builds, builds that are outside the realm of stable and nightly builds. Used for testing other branches from people if they have many changes and want to make it available to people early or simply single changes that some other person other than the builder is supposed to test. You would normally not use anything from testing unless you are told do as a user (mostly becasue you might not know what it is if you were not told to use it).

(the auto and manual I hardly remember now, but it was something about the packaging itself, maybe)

1 Like

Hi All,

Thank you so much for your kind supports and I understands to stick with nightly builds as I have no idea about winbuilder and that process.

OMG ! built in simulator?

any clues that when it will be available in the nightly build?

Linking to a simulator is one thing, model availability is another altogether.
There is a reason why Freeware LTSpice is more popular than Opensource simulators

2 Likes