Nightly build trying to make a new root symbol

I am using a nightly build; version info at the bottom.

The previous stable release build used aliases, and I think I figured that out well enough. However the version I am using now has root symbols and derived symbols, and I discovered that some of my op amp symbols are derived from the wrong root symbols so have the wrong pin assignments. (Not all 5 pin SOT-23 op amps have the same pinout.) If I take a root symbol (or it seems the same applies to a derived symbol) and “save copy as” then I get a new derived symbol on which I cannot edit the pin assignments. So…I do not want to change the parent or root symbol because that is correct by itself. But I do want to use “save copy as” to make a new parent or root symbol with different pinout. Can I do that or do I need to build the symbol from scratch?
Would a newer nightly build possibly make this easier?

Or maybe I need to do some text editing?

Application: KiCad
Version: (5.99.0-788-g8f778b5a0), release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.66.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1d (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.1.1) nghttp2/1.39.2
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
Build date: Jan 23 2020 07:35:52
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.71.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.66.0
Compiler: GCC 9.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

I’m not using nightlies.
I would assume it as a bug.

The root (not sorry for the pun) problem is probably that right now 5.99 is in a mixed situation: handling of symbols has been changed to make room for the new file format, but the old file format is still used.

If I understand you correctly the problem you described was noticed righ after the changes. I haven’t followed the situation after that. See Symbol Library Editor Changes.

I don’t use derived symbols myself so I haven’t filed a bug report, either, and don’t know if there’s any. Maybe you could do it?

Thanks, Piotr and eelik

I am thinking to do the following:

1. Document my steps including the present version. Document the problem.
  2. Update the version to the newest nightly build.
  3. If the newest nightly build eliminates the issue, I am done. If it does not eliminate the issue then I should report a bug.
  4. See if I can work around the problem with text editing. I would first need to make a backup copy of the library. This result should be included in the bug report.
    I hope to start this process within the next hour or so.

UPDATE:

The latest nightly build did not resolve the issue. I am able to edit the symbol library with a text editor. With the text editor I copy old root symbol to make a new root symbol. Then I edit the new root symbol with the symbol editor. This works OK so I am not stuck. I did report a bug.

2nd UPDATE

Not sure what happened; perhaps I was hasty to test the latest build. But now I can make new root symbols by “save copy as” when I start with an existing root symbol. I have closed my bug.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.