Nice computer graphics art out of Kicad Layout after restart from standby mode

Just for fun…

On my notebook, I am used to experience the display of a messy, weird black&white content of a Kicad pcbnew window after resuming from standby mode. It’s a display without any variance in its content.
But now on my desktop I got a - not weird at all - colorful, non-AI generated artwork, where the underlying design is still visible:

The original design In miniature is shown here:
Kicad-screen

What operating system do you run?
Perhaps a full version info from KiCad (Help menu) would be informative.

Linux, distro: KDE neon (Plasma 6.0).
But… I don’t think that the OS makes the crucial difference, besides of total architectural differences between Windows and the Linux world. Because of comparable experiences also on my Linux Mint notebook I’d suggest that the graphics library plays a significant role (wx Widgets, when I remember correctly).

Who knows maybe next iteration they’ll improve the restart from standby to generate an IMPROVED layout from yours. “AI that works when it goes to sleep!” :rofl:

1 Like

i suspect the ‘wake up from sleep’ is a very dusty corner of drivers, for example my wi-fi never reconnects after sleep.

Agree. I’d start with updating video drivers. And then search the 'net if there are particular problems with your brand / model of PC in combination with standby modes.

Edit: Removed my personal habits. It’s not relevant, and as retiredfeline notes, there are valid situations for standby, hibernation and such.

Hm, standby is - according to my experience - around 3 W. Makes a huge difference. But indeed, I wonder that in many firms the habit seems proliferated to have computers running also during absence (at night). 40 W at so may computers makes more sense than 0,1 or 1,0 W of standby usage of all sort of consumer stuff (like TV). This achievement was enabled only through governments issued regulatory stuff. The cents are in this respect a total non-issue.

Standby is an issue for people with laptops, tablets and other portable devices where session duration matters.

… and where heavy project work status makes it convenient to put the computer in standby over night instead of switching off (or have the computer idle over that time).

I’d stress the fun nature of my posting. In practice, the garbage is totally without practicel problems. In all cases, a redraw (e.g. zooming in) restores the display.
All the other remarks are essentially off-topic, and could only fire up a discussion about e.g. environmentalism.

If a single redraw (pan or zoom) “fixes it”, then it is indeed a very minor issue. But apart from the fun aspect, have you ever managed to find an origin of that memory corruption? I see a big red arc on the right side, and also some exceptionally large via’s. The big arc looks like it may be a magnified electrolytic capacitor footprint.

Just left of the center I see an S-curved line. No idea what that is.

No, I never made any thoughts about the root cause, just because it’s not a problem during doing the work.
I just saw that an open instance of Librewolf, a fork of Firefox, also had mess in the window. In this case, hovering the mouse from outside to the inside restores the content.

Below the result on my notebook (where Kicad 7.x is still present). I can imagine that the precise video hardware can make a difference in outcome, which is always comparable.

My KDE always messes up on resume. I have to ALT F1 to the initial login screen and then ALT F2 back. It might be a plasma thing. I’ve read rants about Linux not being able to resume properly. I really can’t use sleep and must use hibernate to basically reboot so the system fans get controlled properly. The fans are actually listed under different controllers/names after a resume after sleep. So, yeah. OS does matter. :frowning:

@hermit Yes, I said OS not the crucial difference - within the same OS family. I’m confident that the main breaker, and differences in the anomalies lies in the video hardware, not only whether memory shared or not, but just beyond this main architectural difference.