Newbie question; top+bottom traces to pin header?

Hi,

I’m now a few days into PCB designing, so forgive me the probably very green question…

So, I have a number of pin headers. Up to now I’ve lead all traces that came in on the bottom through a VIA next to the header (left in image below) until I notices that KiCad also lets me connected them from the bottom. I guess this is allowed and will work fine, but just to be sure, let me check here… See image.

Also, besides that it may (or not work), is there any convention or best practice?

thanks,
Stu.

Kicad and any other tool. D5 via is redundant. Do as in the other two cases.

1 Like

Ok! Thanks for confirming!

To be fair, @pedro made an assumption here. He assumed that you have plated through holes. (The official lib assumes you have the capability to manufacture plated through holes.)

All manufacturers can produce plated through holes. If you manufacture your pcbs at home you most likely will not be able to have plated through holes.

Yes and no.
From the question, the OP is not familiar with plated holes.
As the holes are clearly not a via, bottom soldering is going to connect the pin for sure. Furthermore, as it is a pin, the pin can be soldered on both sides in most cases.

In that case and if populated with pin headers they will be connected though :wink:

And just came to mind - if he knows VIAs - they also need the plating process to work.

Not necessarily. My first pcbs were home made (well, university made) without access to plating vias. We just soldered a copper thread accros the hole on both sides. Not a very trusty thing, of course.

Hehe, so never say never then I guess. Mea culpa :blush:

1 Like

No, they’re being manufactured, so I expect no prob.

So they’re either connected via the plating process.
Secondly, also via the soldered pin headers.

Good! :slight_smile: