Newbie - How to create footprint for circular rotary?

Hi folks,
I am quite new to Kicad. It’s been going pretty well so far. I have a design that uses a Grayhill Rotary switch. Here’s the datasheet:
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/626/Rotary_56-335299.pdf

I am trying to figure out how to create the pads in a circular pattern. The datasheet dives the dimensions of the diameter of the circle of pins (done), but then each pad is placed based on degrees. Can anyone point me to instruction on how to create these pads? Is there a way other than trying to figure out the positioning on my own and then manually putting in pads in those locations? Thanks so much!

I know there are people that have done scripts but I’m not sure if they are actual plug ins. I checked the plug in page and didn’t see a name that jumped out at me.

I found it, friends! Just discovered the “polar coordinates” button. Cheers!

1 Like

Is this V5? I don’t remember seeing that one before.

Looks like I’m on 4.0.7. The button is right above the in. and mm. button in the footprint editor. It gives the degrees under the “Th” text in the bottom info area.

It is there in V5 as well

There is a footprint wizard (if enabled on your platform) that can help with creating such footprints. (In the top toolbar with tool text similar to “new from wizard” I can not check this as they are disabled on the platforms i have available right now)

Here is a screenshot of what I have for new from wizard:
2018-08-09%2012_25_57-Footprint%20Editor%20%E2%80%94%20no%20active%20library
Note, this doesn’t show in the menus.

Here is the list of footprint wizards available to me on my install:
2018-08-09%2013_39_23-Footprint%20Generators

And for the OP here is what the circular wizard looks like:

Now for the magic question… What version am I running? I found my install package in a testing folder (so it isn’t even a nightly) for testing enabling the action menu compiler flag. Here is my version info (the platform is actually Win10 but that is a known issue with Windows):

Application: kicad
Version: (5.0.0), release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.3
libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.11 libssh2/1.8.0 nghttp2/1.23.1 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.3 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.60.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.8.0
Curl: 7.54.1
Compiler: GCC 7.1.0 with C++ ABI 1011

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.